Having Problems Adding 1Password as Passkey on Login.gov

Options
phximenes
phximenes
Community Member
edited September 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello! It's a pleasure to meet you all!

I'm having a little big problem adding 1Password as Passkey on Login.gov.

I received the message "We were unable to add the security key. Please try again or choose another authentication method.", as you can see in the image below:

1Passsword even stores the Passkey, but I think that's because it generates it itself. Am I right?

Anyway, I found the error message to be very generic, so I have no idea where to start looking for the cause and solution of the problem.

Can you help me please?

Thank you and best regards!
Pedro

1Password Version: 8.10.15
Extension Version: 2.15.0
OS Version: Windows 11 up-to-date
Browser: Google Chrome 117.0.5938.89 up-to-date

Comments

• @phximenes

It looks like you are trying to save a Security Key. https://www.login.gov/help/get-started/authentication-methods/ only mentions those and not passkeys. I checked https://passkeys.directory/ and did not find a listing for login.gov, yet.

• phximenes
    phximenes
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_tommy

In this case I'll wait Login.gov work with Passkey.

Thanks for your time and patience with me!

Best Regards!

• Anytime @phximenes I'm looking for login.gov too. I want to add a passkey myself. ;)

• mattfusf
    mattfusf
    Community Member
    Options

login.gov does work with passkeys using Apple keychain directly, so this does seem to be an issue specific to 1Password.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2023
    Options

Oh, that's kind of nice improvement. I am now seeing a prompt 🎉 and then failure as you mentioned. 😕 I'll get this mentioned internally.

• GratisHushed
    GratisHushed
    Community Member
    Options

The US federal government has a website, login.gov, that's intended to provide SSO for other government websites such as the Social Security Administration. login.gov says that it can work with passkeys.

Before 1Password got passkeys out of beta, I set up a passkey using the Apple Keychain. It worked fine. After 1Password came out with passkeys, I deleted the existing passkey from my account at login.gov, and I deleted the passkey itself from the Apple Keychain using macOS Settings > Passwords.

I cannot create a passkey with 1Password. When I ask login.gov to create a new passkey, I get the 1Password "popup" asking if I want to save the passkey in a new or existing login item. I select Existing and click OK. login.gov then shows the error message: "We were unable to add face or touch unlock. Please try again or choose another authentication method."

Any ideas? Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
    Extension Version: 2.15.1
    OS Version: macOS 14.0
    Browser: Safari 17.0 (19616.1.27.211.1)

• GratisHushed
    GratisHushed
    Community Member
    Options

Oops, sorry...I did a search and it missed the identical problem thread a few items earlier. Sorry! Please delete this thread and I will follow the other one. Thanks.

• No worries @GratisHushed I've merged the topics.

This discussion has been closed.