Unable to scan 2FA QR code for Instagram using 1Password in the browser

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Unable to create 2FA for Instagram Account.

Comments

• mattfite
    mattfite
    Community Member
    Options

Hello. I followed these steps in both safari (Version 16.6 (18615.3.12.11.2)) and Chrome Version 116.0.5845.187 (Official Build) (arm64) on Mac Ventura (13.5.2 (22G91)) and get the "invalid code" message. I normally use 1Password (1Password for Mac 8.10.16 81016047, on PRODUCTION channel) but this time I tried the browser extension in Safari and Mac. I also tried scanning the code with iOS app and have not been able to use 1password as my authenticator.

• Hello @mattfite,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry for the delay in response and the troubles you have been experiencing with scanning the 2FA code for your Instagram account in 1Password for Safari, Mac and with 1Password for iOS.

Could you confirm where you are seeing this invalid code message? Is this appearing when trying to update your Instagram account with 2FA, or is this message coming from 1Password itself?

If you follow the instructions from this guide, does this behaviour improve?

If this continues to fail, could provide a detailed list of steps you are following so we can look into this further and try to replicate?

To help us better understand the message you are seeing, I'd like to ask you to take a screenshot and attach it here. When sending a screenshot, please be sure to redact any personal or private information:

I'm looking forward to your reply.

• mattfite
    mattfite
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your response. I think the problem was on instagram's side and today, I was able to add the 2FA to 1Password and use it to logon to instagram.

To try to clear it up my initial report if it ever happens again, the error messages were always from Instagram's side. I had previously setup Instagram 2FA with Authy, and I wanted to replace it with 1Password. I deleted my old 2FA entry on Instagram, and when I went to add it from 1Password I got this message, which persisted for more than a week. I wouldn't consistently get this message from Instagram, sometimes Instagram would just fail and say "the code you've entered is not valid". As I said, this problem is resolved now.

Thanks for following up!

• @mattfite

I'm happy to hear that everything is working again. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.