Adding vault to family account after the death of someone

Options
poshboy
poshboy
Community Member

We recently had a death in the family. The person who died, A, had an individual 1Password account. I'm administering the estate, and I'm the leader of a family account, with members B,C,D.

Please can someone advise if:

Is it possible for me to add A into our family, without losing any data?
Is it possible for C,D in the family to see A's items?

Many thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

You cannot add the standalone account of A to your family account. It is a standalone account and stays this way. If you add A to your family account, you're creating a new and empty member account within the family account that might have the same name or email as login as the standalone account, but it's a different account.
    Someone in the family account is never able to see any vault from any standalone account, except if he is signed into both at the same time.

Since you didn't write what you want to achieve in the end, it's difficult to say what you can do.

I guess you want to "inherit" and save the data from your deceased family member, so it doesn't get lost.

In this case, I propose you use the desktop app and sign in to both your family manager account as well as into the standalone account of your diseased family member. Now you're seeing all vaults from both accounts and are able to copy items back and forth. Create a vault in your family account and copy items from the vault(s) of the standalone account of your diseased family member into that new vault, so the items are transferred into your family account. Use the desktop app, it's able to multiselect and bulk copy items.
    Then you can sign out from that standalone account and retire it. Set access control to that new vault according to how people in your family should have access to the imported items.

In case your family member used a v7 client with local vaults, you first need to copy the items from any local vault to a cloud stored vault first, otherwise you cannot access these items.

In all cases, you need the credentials (login name, account password, and in case of a new sign in the secret key as well) of the standalone account of your diseased family member to get access to his data. If you don't have that, the data is lost and you cannot gain access under any circumstances - not even 1Password can provide it.

• poshboy
    poshboy
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, I followed your advice and added A's account into my 1Password on the desktop. I didn't know that having more than one account at a time was possible, so TIL. I was then able to create a new vault in the Family, copy over the items from A's account and then amend the permissions on the new Family vault appropriately. Good advice, thanks again.

• @poshboy,

I'm glad to hear you were able to follow the above advice and achieve your goal.
    Let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else we can help you with!

This discussion has been closed.