sync existing iOS 1PW with Mac 1PW when both already set up

I've purchased 1PW both for my iPad and my desktop Mac. I started entering data on my iPad but realized that I should be able to transfer all the data from 1PW on my Mac. I see instructions on how to synch when the iPad version has not been set up, but I don't see instructions on how to synch them when both are already set up but never synched. Help appreciated.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Dropbox syncing will merge the data. You can just proceed as outlined in the User Guide:

Setting up Dropbox syncing in 1Password

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help! :)

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member

More on the same question.. I also started with IOS and just downloaded Mac. The very first thing asked for is to set up my data file. Choices given are to 1) set up a new one or 2) use existing. I'd like to use existing but at this point I haven't even put in the MPW to the Mac version.

Can I sync with DB before starting to setup the Mac version? Can I assign my same MPW to the Mac version as I already set up on the IOS version? Thanks

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member

Is there an answer for this last question... Sorry, but I'm waiting on this before moving further with the PW experience :-)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

The Master Password is tied to the data file, so if you use the same data file the Master Password will be the same. If you follow the steps in the User Guide that I linked to above you should be all set. Please let me know which specific step you are stuck on if you're having trouble. I'd be happy to provide further assistance, but the steps in the User Guide will get you up and running very quickly. :)

Please let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member

Sorry for belaboring this so much. I have LB downloaded on both MBPro and iPad. Also the two 1PW versions. I have a data file on the iPad but have not yet started using the MBPro.

Is this a chicken-egg situation? I understand I have to go to the 1PW settings and link to LB. But before I can get to the settings, I have to say whether I'm going to set up a new data file on the MBPro or use an existing (the one on the iPad?).

Shall I just use the "set up new data file" option and define the same MPW as I used on the iPad?

Thanks

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

You've lost me a little bit. Can you tell me what you mean by "LB"? I thought it might be a typo for "DB" (Dropbox?) but you used the term twice, and I just want to make sure we're on the same page.

If you set up a new data file then you will create a separate data file. I don't think you want to do that since then 1Password wouldn't be syncing between your iPad and Mac then.

Just enable Dropbox syncing in 1Password on your iPad if you haven't yet. Your data file will be located in your Dropbox folder. If 1Password for Mac doesn't automatically detect your data file there when you launch it, you can double-click it in Finder to activate it in 1Password for Mac.

• PWChinook
    PWChinook
    Community Member

Not a typo... More of a "braino"... My finger meant to say Dropbox but my brain said Lockbox. :-(

OK, I thought I had to get into 1PW to use the settings to link to DB. You're saying I can link my MBP tp DB without first defining a data file on it.

I'll give that a try. Thanks

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Ah! "Lockbox" would actually be a cool name for a product like that. :)

Please let me know how it goes.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.