How do I export and backup my passkeys?

Options
PastaShock
PastaShock
Community Member
edited February 1 in Lounge

I want to be able to backup and export my passkeys.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @PastaShock! 👋

Passkeys saved in 1Password can’t be exported at this time. We’re working closely with platform vendors and other password managers through the FIDO Alliance to create a secure way to import and export passkeys. We believe it’s your choice where to store and use your passkeys. Hopefully we’ll have more to share soon.

That being said, I don't recommend using exports as a backup in general. Exports are designed to be used if you'd like to take your data to another password manager, they're not designed to be a backup solution. With 1Password 8 your data is stored locally on each of your devices and is already backed up to your 1Password.com account.

-Dave

• PastaShock
    PastaShock
    Community Member
    Options

I like to have a worst-case scenario backup. I want my passwords backed up into KeepassXC in case the worst happens.

• @PastaShock

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me a little more about the specific scenario that you're trying to protect against? If you accidentally edit or delete an item then you can always restore that item, or a previous version of that item, from 1Password.com: View and restore previous versions of items

Your encrypted data is replicated to redundant copies on our end to guard against any data loss. And even if 1Password.com were to completely disappear tomorrow, your data would still be available locally on all of your devices where you're using the 1Password app.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• PastaShock
    PastaShock
    Community Member
    Options

What happens if I violate 1Password's TOS and my account gets banned? Do I lose access to my local passkeys in 1Password? Can I get those passkeys transferred to another provider once I have an inactive account?

In my perfect passkey future, websites will immediately disable my password and TOTP code as soon as I create a passkey. So, now I am dependent on whoever holds my passkeys to let me get into a site easily.

I also use Linux a lot and I don't believe you have a Linux app, so I would need to use your browser plugin. Will the browser plugin continue to work with a banned account?

• @PastaShock

Thanks for the reply. We do have a Linux app: Get the 1Password for Linux app

As mentioned, passkeys saved in 1Password (or any other manager) can’t be exported/imported at this time, even if you could export passkeys there's nothing that could import them. We're working with our partners at the FIDO Alliance to create a secure way to import and export passkeys and hopefully we can share more in the future.

-Dave

• PastaShock
    PastaShock
    Community Member
    Options

Export and import are phase 1. Phase 2 is websites getting a clue and allowing you to delete all other authentication mechanisms. But I know the second one is out of your control.

• @PastaShock

Passkeys will become more ubiquitous and intuitive as time goes on, we're currently at the beginning of a long transition period. I'm excited to see what the future holds. 🙂

-Dave

• kalanthes
    kalanthes
    Community Member
    Options

Any news to backup/export passkeys?
    I'm doing a (yearly) backup off anything on a DVD. Which includes an unencrypted 1PW csv-export. Just in case my wife/kids need to access them in a worst-case scenario.

This discussion has been closed.