Bug: no keyboard to type in PIN code of YubiKey 5C NFC (when using USB-C)

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited October 2023 in iOS

Recently I bought a new iPhone. Since I have 2FA enabled for 1Password I had to insert my YubiKey 5C NFC to prove it's me using this new iPhone. When I inserted the key in the USB-C slot, a dialog appeared in which I had to type the PIN code, but when I tapped on the input field no keyboard appeared to type that code...

(This may as well be an iOS 17 bug?)

1Password Version: 8.10.18 (Beta)
OS Version: iOS 17.0.3

Comments

• Hi @XIII,

I believe this prompt in question asking you to enter your YubiKey PIN code is controlled by iOS itself and 1Password only receives the finished response from the challenge. It could be that iOS 17 is detecting the security key as a keyboard (technically not incorrect) and doesn't show the on-screen keyboard, but obviously something is not right there.

Do you happen to know if this issue is also happening on other apps on your new iPhone or potentially on your old iPhone not running iOS 17?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

I have not used the YubiKey with any other App on the phone yet…

(and can’t think of one right now to test it with)

• dragon1
    dragon1
    Community Member
    Options

For me it's not about the keyboard. It more about a PIN code loop I get, when I try to use the key within iOS.
    Even if I enter then correct PIN it asks again to bring the key close to the phone and asks again for my PIN.
    It's not a problem of 1Password - more like Apple and iOS17.

• @dragon1

Thank for the report. Are you seeing the same issue with other apps as well? Or just the 1Password app?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• dragon1
    dragon1
    Community Member
    Options

Just looked into it and found out, that it has something to do with new iOS/macOS versions and/or with Yubikey. Some apps didn't work anymore (1Password for example and Apple itself). Had to reset the stick, added the accounts again and now it's back working.
    But really stupid behavior as you could really loose you login data in some cases.
    My trust into Yubikeys just went down a lot.

• @dragon1

Thanks for the update here. Where YubiKeys go a bit beyond the standard of "press the button, get a code" it can introduce some complication as you've seen. Glad you got things working. :)