Extraneous data file in Dropbox 1Password Folder

LarryMcJ
LarryMcJ
Community Member
edited March 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

In addition to "1Password.agilekeychain" my Dropbox 1Password folder also contains another file "1Password-382027729.agilekeychain".

I have no idea what "1Password-382027729.agilekeychain" is for. Is it necessary, or can I delete it?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

This scenario can happen when you already have a 1Password data file in your Dropbox folder but decline to use it when 1Password asks you to do so. In that case 1Password will ignore the data file in your Dropbox folder and create one in your Library folder. if you later decide to move your data file to Dropbox the existing data file will be renamed and set aside. Only one data file should be located in your Dropbox folder, though, to avoid confusion.

What is the location of the data file listed in 1Password's preferences on the General pane? That is the active data file. Just to double-check, you can also look at the "Modified" date of the files — as you mentioned —to see which one is likely your active data file.

You can archive the file that is not listed in 1Password's preferences and has an older "Modified" date.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

The file most recently used is "1Password.agilekeychain" (the one that's always been listed in 1P Preferences). "1Password-382027729.agilekeychain" was last used on March 9, 2013, which seems strange, since this file has been in the Dropbox 1Password folder for a quite a while...not just since March 9, 2013. I'll store it away someplace and see if some other file gets created. Thanks khad.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I think that is exactly what I would do. It's my pleasure to help. Please keep me posted if you have any trouble with this (or anything else). :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

One additional note: I put this file in a folder on my desktop just for safekeeping, but whenever I open Finder it's being displayed in the Finder top bar (see linked screenshot). Nothing I can do makes this go away from the Finder window.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfy1gc06arvvzb5/Finder Screenshot.jpg

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2013

Hey Larry

Command click and then drag the item off the bar, making sure to hold it off the bar for a second or two.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Thanks, Tommy! BTW, any idea why that even happened in the first place? And since this extraneous file doesn't appear to be doing anything...and the correct keychain file is being updated correctly, I think I'll go ahead and trash this one.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2013

Hi Larry,

If you are referring to your original question, it happened for me when I originally moved from Agilebits version to the Mac App Store version, way back when. At that time I thought one version (of the 1Password app) would overwrite the other but it installed 1Password Mac App Store to a folder in my applications folder. I noticed this before activating it, so I would also attribute it in my case to first telling 1Password not to use the original Dropbox location.

As to the file stuck in the finder bar, it usually happens when you in accidentally moved a file and maybe you thought you released it to the desktop but it was still over the finder window.

I think it was old Dave Teare who use to say disk space is cheap. I would keep it around for a while to be sure, But for me personally I had 3 other backups of my keychain I just deleted it. That is a personal decision but I would err on the side of caution and keep it around for a while, you never know.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

I'll go ahead and delete it then, as once a week I automatically save a copy of the actual 1P keychain file to a separate folder (not in Dropbox). Plus, it's on my daily backup with SuperDuper and also Time Machine. If there's one file I'm very protective of, it's this one -:)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

Me and you both :)

This discussion has been closed.