Will the 1P passkey live in the iCloud keychain?

Options
reinhard76
reinhard76
Community Member
edited October 2023 in iOS

While not yet generally available, 1P will offer the ability to login to 1P via a passkey. Am I right to assume that passkey has to be stored in the iCloud Keychain? If so, that then forces me to have both 1P AND iCloud Keychain enabled as providers for passwords and passkeys under password options in iOS - which has some, I think undesirable, side effects.

Currently I have everything in 1P and 1P as the only password option in iOS. Every new password and every password change is handled by 1P and everything is kept in just one place.

But with both options enabled, I get prompted by iOS
Would you like to save this password in your iCloud Keychain to use across apps and websites on all your devices?

With both options enabled as password options one is bound to end up having password and passkey data spread across 1P and iCloud Keychain. Convenience (and default choices) may even lead users to prefer iCloud Keychain over 1P.

How can this be avoided?
Does the 1Password design for 1P passkeys address that issue.

Kind regards
Reinhard

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @reinhard76! 👋

Thanks for the question! In the future, if you choose to unlock 1Password with a passkey, we do indeed recommend storing that passkey in a platform account, such as Apple’s iCloud Keychain, and that you also have more than one device synced with that platform account. This way, if you lose a device, you have another way to recover your 1Password account.

Unlocking 1Password with a passkey is currently in a private beta and we'll have more to share on what the user experience looks like as the development process continues. If you're interested in staying looped in on the latest news then please subscribe to our newsletter: Sign up for our passwordless newsletter

-Dave

• reinhard76
    reinhard76
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave

• On behalf of Dave, you're welcome.