Trouble with the experience provided by 1Password in the browser

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Native Password AutoFill Extension macOS

Comments

• kaspar
    kaspar
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with everyone 100% that native APIs for integration on MacOS is a missed opportunity. I understand that a lot of work has gone into the browser extension, but unfortunately the experience is not very good.

However, what really disappointed me was the experience with the desktop web apps feature on MacOS Sonoma. It does not currently allow extensions at all, so 1Password is not an option there.

• Hello @kaspar! 👋

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed your comments along to the team.

unfortunately the experience is not very good.

Can you tell me a little more about where your experience with 1Password in the browser is falling short? Is this exclusively in Safari or in other browsers as well? What specifically isn't working?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

ref: PB-36254294

• kaspar
    kaspar
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I just tried to login to this very forum:

• the 1Password icon in the username/password field was missing
    • I clicked the icon in the toolbar, it was very slow
    • I unlocked with TouchID
    • the popup window flashed with the Open 1Password button as if it failed
    • but the username/email autofill "menu" appeared in the login form
    • I could neither select my login using keyboard or mouse, when clicking nothing happens
    • I had to again go to the toolbar icon and select my login and autofill there
    • I am now logged in! :)
      Seriously, it does not work very well at all. I can try to do a screen capture of this, but it does not happen every time.
  • Hi @kaspar,

Can you email the screen capture (prefer video recording) to us for a closer look?

• support+forum@1Password.com

With your email, let's include:

• A link to this thread: ttps://1password.community/discussion/comment/698094/#Comment_698094
    • Your forum username: @kaspar

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

And then, one of my colleagues would reply to you with the link to upload the video recording.

Meanwhile, we can turn off the integration setting in 1Password for Safari. When it is disabled, 1Password for Safari web extension and 1Password 8 desktop app will work separately and independently. However, the disadvantage here is that we cannot use Touch-ID to unlock 1Password for Safari. We can test it on your daily usage, and see how it goes compared to the experience with the integration feature turned on.

Suppose you are interested. Here are the steps:

1. Open your browser and right click (ctrl + click) on the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. In the General section, turn the Integrate with 1Password app is OFF as shown below:

Then, you can adjust the auto-lock time with 1Password in Safari so that you don't need to unlock it often: