Bug: 1password overwrites radio buttons with garbage, causing invalid formdata to be submitted

Options
untitaker
untitaker
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

The 1password browser extension for Firefox stores formdata for input type=radio in saved items. Unfortunately when it does that, it stores garbage, and when the item is autofilled, the selected input's "value" property is modified to an invalid value. The form submission will then, depending on the site, either fail entirely or the wrong radio button value will be assumed.

This is a site-independent bug.

Steps to reproduce

1. Store the following HTML in a file:
<form method=post action=/>
    <input type=text name=user /><br>
    <input type=password name=pass /><br>
    <input type=radio name=selection value=foo /> foo<br>
    <input type=radio name=selection value=bar /> bar<br>
    <input type=submit />
</form>
  1. Then, serve up the HTML with your browser, fill out the form completely with any values, then, without hitting submit, save the item in 1password using the dropdown on the pasword field.

2. Then, refresh the page and fill out the form using 1password.

3. Inspect the DOM on whichever radio button is now selected. Its "value" prop is now neither "foo" nor "bar", but "1".

This is a duplicate of https://1password.community/discussion/132469/1password-chrome-extension-force-changed-value-on-radio-button-tag which was entirely ignored. The bug report there is against Chrome, but the issue exists in Firefox as well.

The extension version is "1password in the browser 2.16.1".

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.16.1
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @untitaker,

Thanks for reaching out and reporting this in great detail. This is a known bug that our development team is aware of and I've added you as an affected user to our internal report.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with, @untitaker.

-Evon.