Windows 11 passkey takeover 1Password passkey

Options

I've been trying my way around using passkey ever since it came out but to me, it created more problems rather than solving one.

On my windows 11 machine, when I try to create passkey in my google account windows 11 passkey prompt takes over 1password and if I dismiss the windows 11 passkey pop up 1password does not trigger to save passkey.

I'm currently using Edge....

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @dwk,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble using passkey integration with Google account.

Do you have saved passkeys that are created by 1Password on your Google account already? If so, what is the date when you created those passkeys?

With the implementation of passkey integration from both of Google and 1Password, some passkeys that were created in the early stage cannot be used and they might cause some sign-in issues, as you described. I apologize for the inconvenience and confusion it caused.

If that is the case, can you remove the original passkeys that are saved on your Google account? And then, let's re-create a new passkey with 1Password and test the sign-in process again.

I'm looking forward to your updates.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

@kevin.li

With the implementation of passkey integration from both of Google and 1Password, some passkeys that were created in the early stage cannot be used and they might cause some sign-in issues, as you described. I apologize for the inconvenience and confusion it caused.

I'm not the thread opener, but it seems I suffered from this issue as well. I recreated the Google Passkey for 1Password, and now it works perfectly. My passkey for Google is now pulled from 1Password fine.

My complaint in this regard is that there wasn't the slightest indication the stored passkey was invalid. I thought the implementation was invalid and blamed Google every day, but it seems only the stored data was invalid due to a bug already fixed long ago.

• dwk
    dwk
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi,

I already deleted saved passkey from 1password but even creating a new passkey won't work since windows hello(passkey) pop up takes over 1password.

Even if I dismiss the windiws pop up, 1password fails to show me any prompt for saving passkey.

• datthinh1801
    datthinh1801
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I encountered the same issue.
    I'm using Windows 11 as well as Edge. When I'm trying to create a passkey on a supported website (e.g., GitHub), the Windows 11 Passkey seems to take over 1password, and there is no 1password's prompt popping-up for me to save/create a passkey.

• Hey @dwk, @datthinh1801,

It sounds like you might be running into an issue we are currently investigating with the latest version of 1Password in the browser in Edge (2.16.0). I'm sorry for the disruption, can you try the beta version and let us know if you are then able to save a passkey in 1Password? Here's how:

Use 1Password beta releases.

ref: dev/core/core#24560

I'm sorry for the trouble @Tertius3, I'm glad you were able to get things back on track!

• mpix
    mpix
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Browser: Microsoft Edge 117.0.2045.55
    1Password for browser: 2.16.0

Suddenly I started having the same problem: Edge not recognising 1Password anymore as the passkey provider and started showing QR code instead.

Updated to the beta 2.16.1, problem looks fixed

• dwk
    dwk
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, @steph.giles

I will just wait till stable version comes out since I'm not comfortable using beta versions...

• Hi @dwk,

It's totally understandable if you'd prefer to wait. In the meantime though, if you're more comfortable using the stable release, you can install and use the stable release of the 1Password extension that's available through the Chrome Web Store while you wait.

Since Edge is a Chromium-based browser, this version will still work in Edge.

Let us know if that works for you.

• mpix
    mpix
    Community Member
    Options

@david.m_1P

However the stable version still shows the issue with passkeys and Edge, right? That's the reason why I needed to upgrade to the beta build 2.16.1

• datthinh1801
    datthinh1801
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @steph.giles ,

I can confirm that the beta version works well. Hope to see a stable release for this.

Thank you for the support then.

• dwk
    dwk
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi, @kevin.li @steph.giles

I just got the stable release for 2.16.1 and can confirm passkey works again.

Been a long time 1Password user and 1Password has grown huge over the last years(I mean really huge!).

I myself take part in system application development but developing for various environments such as diferrent platforms/os versions/devices/browsers is very difficult and makes it harder to anticipate possible errors.

However, fast customer feedback and reliable patches are the reasons why I put my trust in 1Password.

I really hope this culture of positive feedback from both devs and customer alike stays around into the future!

Last but not least, thanks for the fast fix :)

• Hey @datthinh1801,

I'm sorry for the disruption, we have released a fix to the latest stable release. Let us know if you need assistance switching.

Thanks for the kind words @dwk, it's much appreciated!

• ethomp
    ethomp
    Community Member
    Options

OMG. That's been driving me crazy since it was initially rolled out. Deleting the 1P passkey and recreating it did wonders!

• Sorry for the trouble @ethomp, let us know if there's anything else we can help with!