Passkeys not available on this device or browser

Options
Fresco
Fresco
Community Member
edited September 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

In the 1Password app on my Mac (macOS Sonoma) I see that for some logins a Passkey is available. But trying to activate it, is mostly impossible. If, for example, I try to enable a Passkey with PayPal it says: "Passkeys not available on this device or browser".
Sometimes it can be done with Safari on my iPhone, but then the Passkeys are in Apple's keychain and not in 1Password. Chrome on my iPhone, however, gets the same result as Chrome on my Mac. None.
So, summarized: 1Password claims a Passkey is available, the corresponding website claims it is not. Who is telling the truth?

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.14.1
OS Version: macOS 14
Browser: Chrome 117

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Do you have the beta browser extension and/or latest TestFlight build installed?

(I think only those support passkeys in 1Password currently)

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    Options

I have the latest beta browser build (2.15.0) and desktop app (8.10.16). No Testflight. I don't see why I need this, and if you would I wonder why the current non-Testflight 1Password betas are offering the use of passkeys.

• Authority
    Authority
    Community Member
    Options

From https://www.paypal.com/us/cshelp/article/what-is-a-passkey-and-how-do-i-use-it-to-log-in-to-my-paypal-account-help997

Passkeys can only be created on locked mobile devices from Chrome (Android or Apple devices) and Safari (Apple devices only) browsers.

You can create a passkey -- but not with 1Password due to restrictions set by PayPal. I have created one for PayPal as a test in Chrome on my Android phone which is saved in the Google Password Manager (the first and only thing I have Google Password Manager).

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    Options

But it's not only PayPal. Other supported websites don't let me make Passkeys also. Like Github or Google.

• Hi @Fresco,

As @Authority mentioned, PayPal passkeys can only be created on mobile devices at the moment. If you're using iOS version 17 or higher, and you have the latest version of 1Password for iOS installed, then you will have the new save and sign in with passkeys feature available to you.

For PayPal, are you able to visit their website using Safari on iOS, then save a passkey using the steps in the article below:

As for GitHub and Google, you should be able to save a passkey while using your desktop browser and the latest 1Password extension. Are you seeing any error messages when trying to save a passkey for these sites?

I look forward to hearing from you!

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    Options

I have read the article. Never have I been asked on a supported website if I would like to make passkey. On the Github website I can find in the account settings that I could add a passkey. When I want to setup one I get a similar error as on the PayPal site: "Passkeys not available on this device or browser". It does not make any difference whether I do this on my Mac or on my iPhone.

On my iPhone I was able to make a PayPal passkey in the PayPal app (!). About where this passkey is stored, I am completely in the dark. At least, I can't find it in 1Password. So, when I login to PayPal on my Mac (on any browser) I can only do this with the traditional way: user name, password, and TFA code. The same when I use Safari on my iPhone. No passkey login is offered.

I wonder if you didn't release this passkey option too early. Not are there but a very few websites that support it, but it is very difficult stuff (for me, at least) and it's only getting to work with big limitations. Only with iOS? Not on a Mac (with whatever browser)? Maybe it works with Windows (which I don't have)? I have all of the last versions; the browser extension got uopdated today to 2.16, but that doesn't make any difference.

Although still eager to hear your reaction, for now I stick to the traditional use of logins until it gets easier and more common. I don't want to torture myself (-:

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    Options

Another example: 1P desktop says that for the Amazon account a Passkey is available. This is not true. In my Amazon account the word "passkey" is mentioned nowhere. What is going on here?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Amazon might be using a staged rollout?

(I have passkeys configured for my amazon.com account)

• Hey @Fresco,

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time using passkeys. Let's start by focussing on your Mac and then we can get things working on your iPhone. It's great that you have 2.16.0 installed in your browser, this version supports passkeys. Can you give this test a try for me:

1. Go to https://www.passkeys.io/
    2. Enter your email address in the field and click 'Continue', then click 'Sign up'
    3. Now choose 'Save a passkey' does 1Password then appear in the top left offering to save it?
    4. If yes, save the passkey, sign out and see if you can use it to sign back in.

Let us know how you get on with these steps and if you see any strange behaviour along the way.

You can find websites that support passkeys along with instructions on how to set it up here: https://passkeys.directory/

Amazon are indeed using a staged rollout as mentioned by @XIII.

Let us know how you get on!

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    Options

1Password doesn't offer to save a passkey on your test website. I've tried it with both Safari and Chrome.

• Hi @Fresco,

I'm sorry to hear 1Password isn't offering to save a passkey on the test website. Could you please try the following steps below to see if results in 1Password offering to save a passkey for the test website?

1. Open your Safari or Chrome browser
    2. Right click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar
    3. Click Settings from the menu that appears
    4. Under the Autofill section, toggle the Offer to save and sign in with passkeys off then on again

Thanks

-- Brendan

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    Options

Alas, this doesn't work either. Just to make sure, I also tried a Chrome incognito window with 1Password as the only active extension. However, also no result.

• mskreis
    mskreis
    Community Member
    Options

Tried this and was successful. However, when I try to setup a passkey for PayPal it states my device or browser is not supported. I’m using the same device and browser that was successful with the test site.

• Hi @Fresco,

At this point I think it may be useful if we can take a closer look at your set up and what may be going wrong. I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thank you!

@mskreis

Passkeys on PayPal can only be created on mobile devices in Chrome on Android or iOS, and in Safari on iOS. Signing in with passkeys is not yet available on Google Chrome (and other Chromium browsers) on desktop.

I hope that makes sense, let us know if you have any further questions!

• mskreis
    mskreis
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Yes, i now know that. However, I’ve tried multiple times using safari on an iPhone 14 and each time the PayPal app crashes.

• @mskreis

Thanks for the reply. Can you clarify the issue a little further? If you're using Safari to log in to PayPal.com then how is the PayPal app crashing? The PayPal app doesn't need to be open when you're using PayPal.com in Safari.

I look forward to hearing from you so that I can help further. 🙂

-Dave