Unable to save passkeys on both Mac and iPhone

Options
Fresco
Fresco
Community Member
edited October 2023 in iOS

Where I try it, (MacOS, iPhone) or whatever browser I use (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Brave, Arc), every time when I want to make a Passkey on a supported website, like PayPal, I get this message:

"A passkey cannot be created on this device or browser. Visit our FAQs to see what's supported."

And these FAQ's don't give any solution. Other supported websites are showing similar error messages.
How do I get making Passkeys to work?

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: 2.16
OS Version: macOS 14
Browser: Chrome 117

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited September 2023
    Options

Some seem to be looking for a mobile device for their setup needs. Paypal I think was slowly rolling out support.

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    Options

On my iPhone it's not working either. And even if it did, I would only have a passkey in iCloud Keychain, not in 1Password.

• @Fresco

Could you ensure that your iPhone is running iOS 17 or later with Password AutoFill set up to work with 1Password?

If yes and passkeys are available for your PayPal account, you can use the following flow to save a passkey for PayPal in 1Password using Safari:

Let me know how it goes.

• Fresco
    Fresco
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, my iOS and 1Password setup is correct. The thing is, I eventually could setup as Passkey for PayPal...., in the PayPal app, that is. I have to admit I was amazed not seeing this one coming.
    This Passkey resides in iCloud keychain, or whatever it's called these days, but not in 1Password.

Anyway, when I open the PayPal login site in Safari on my iPhone I see the option to login with this Passkey. That works. Sort of. Because, after enabling the login with the Passkey I am asked for my 2FA code nonetheless. I thought that shouldn't be necessary anymore if using a Passkey.

And the other issue that persists is how to get this Passkey in 1Password. For Safari on iOS is not offering this. And I don't need to try it on my Mac because PayPal claims that my Mac and browser aren't suitable to make Passkeys.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Fresco

There's a bug in iOS 17 that prevents managers like 1Password from using passkeys in iOS apps. Apple plans to fix the issue in a future update to iOS. You can continue to create and sign in using passkeys, with 1Password, in the Safari app.

Regarding PayPal in Safari on iOS, can you try these steps:

1. Login to PayPal.com in Safari.
    2. On the website, open Settings > Security.
    3. Select "Passkeys."
    4. Select "Create a passkey."

Follow the instructions to save the passkey in 1Password: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

Because, after enabling the login with the Passkey I am asked for my 2FA code nonetheless. I thought that shouldn't be necessary anymore if using a Passkey.

This will depend on each specific website's implementation. I recommend reaching out to PayPal directly for more details on when they require two-factor authentication.

-Dave