Touch ID, Passkeys and Mac

Options
mmbrook69
mmbrook69
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi. I'm trying to move my logins to Passkeys as I'm able and would love to put them all into 1PW. However, the one thing that is less than ideal is the window that pops up to "use Passkey", that I have to go and click, instead of being able to Touch ID on the Mac. On my iPhone it uses FaceID seamlessly. I can't find a setting anywhere. Is there or will there be an option to use TouchID on the Mac to use the Passkey, similar to what the OS can do if I were to create a Passkey in iCloud?

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.16.0
OS Version: MacOS 14.0
Browser: Safari/Firefox

Comments

• Hi there @mmbrook69

If you're referring to this pop-up, you can press ⮐ Enter to "click" the Sign In button without having to use the mouse.

What happens next depends on whether or not 1Password is locked.

• If 1Password is unlocked, the passkey will be used and you'll sign in with no further action required.
    • If 1Password is locked, you'll see a prompt to unlock it, which would be a Touch ID prompt if you have that set up.

You can learn how to set up Touch ID for 1Password here, if necessary: Use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your Mac.

I hope that clarifies things, but let me know if you have any questions or need any help. :)

— Grey

• mmbrook69
    mmbrook69
    Community Member
    Options

Hi and thanks, but it doesn't seem to quite work that way. At least it doesn't with google.
    If 1PW is unlocked, when I get the popup, hitting Enter does nothing. I have to click into that small window to "activate" it, then I can hit enter to "click" it.
    If 1PW is locked, I get the popup to Unlock 1PW. I also have to click the button that says "unlock 1PW", then the touchID prompt, then I can hit enter.
    Perhaps that is something unique to the google page or perhaps the behavior has changed in the betas? I can try another site and see if it works better?

• @mmbrook69

hitting Enter does nothing

Try pressing ↹ Tab three times to highlight the "👤🔑 Sign In" button when the pop-up appears, then press ⮐ Enter. I'm using the nightly build of the extension, and it looks like pressing Enter just once isn't yet supported in the "lower" builds, like the stable version or the beta. Sorry about the confusion!

• mmbrook69
    mmbrook69
    Community Member
    Options

K. Thanks. I'll keep an eye. Really like the idea of Passkeys in 1PW, since I don't have to manually share them with my family, so keep going!

• @mmbrook69, thank you for the feedback.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with at all.