Touch Id is greyed out, but not working

Options
DerringDo
DerringDo
Community Member
edited October 2023 in Mac

I've been having this issue recently, randomly, in 8.10.18 on my iMac. After months of good behavior, I've now lost the option for using the fingerprint to open 1Password. If I go to settings, the option is enabled, but grayed out. The only way I've been able to "fix" this is to reboot the iMac, which is not a solution, as it eventually stops working again.

Hints/direction appreciated.

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 13.4
Browser: Firefox 118.0.2

Comments

• @DerringDo

Your information mentions 13.4 If you have not updated your device now would be a great time to do that, as there were some very important security fixes. 13.6 is available and recommended by Apple due to those security fixes.

 Apple Support - Keep your Mac up to date

--

If that's not fruitful I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your device:

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Press command and comma. The 1Password preferences will open.
    3. Tap Advanced.
    4. Click Send Diagnostics.
    5. Click Reveal to locate the report in your downloads folder.

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

• Your forum username: DerringDo
    • A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/142877/touch-id-is-greyed-out-but-not-working#latest

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response, will do.

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member
    Options

Since 14.0 is out, how do I find the 13.6 download? Any direction appreciated.

• @DerringDo

Thanks for the reply. You can find available update options for macOS by following the guide that Tommy posted: Keep your Mac up-to-date – Apple Support (AU)

If you're not seeing an update available then I recommend reaching out to Apple for more assistance as they're in the best position to help. Upgrading to macOS 14 is also an option so that you're running the latest version of macOS on your Mac.

-Dave

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, finally found 13.6, definitely not ready to commit to 14.0

I'm thinking some of this is the lack of humidity, and it not recognizing my finger. If I do have to enter the password, from then on the touch-id option is no longer presented. So far it is recognizing the touch. If that stops, I'll come back and update here. Thanks.

• @DerringDo

Sounds good, if the issue returns then please follow the steps in Tommy's post to send in a diagnostics report and we can help further.

-Dave

• DerringDo
    DerringDo
    Community Member
    Options

Seeing the same behavior this morning. If I try 3 times to use the touch-id and it fails, it demands the password. I then unlock the app and use it. The next time I need to unlock, it no longer presents me with the touch-id option. At that point, the only way I know to get it back to giving me the option is to reboot my iMac.

Low humidity is making the touch-id a bit flaky, but that doesn't explain the 1Password behavior, I think. Thanks.

For your reference, this is your support ID:

[#ZSI-37962-885]

• @DerringDo

I'm sorry that the issue returned. I've located your diagnostics report and one of my colleagues will send you a reply as soon as they've reviewed it. To prevent duplication of effort I'm closing this thread.

-Dave

ref: ZSI-37962-885

This discussion has been closed.