[Japanese language] Hiragana should match with Katakana in the search view

Options
k1832
k1832
Community Member

Note: Although I set the category "Mac", I believe that this applies to all the platforms (at least I encountered this on iOS, Android, macOS).

Japanese has 2 types of alphabets, Hiragana and Katakana. There is exactly one-to-one matching between each Hiragana and Katakana (e.g. あ = ア, い = イ. Think of them as like lower cases and upper cases of English alphabets, a = A, b = B). In the 1Password search view, Hiragana does not match with Katakana on any platform (Hiragana does match with Katakana in many search engines/features of other services).
Therefore, in order to search an item of which name is in Katakana, you need to type Hiragana and convert it to Katakana (this is usually how Katakana is typed with Japanese keyboards).
For example, when I tried to search an item "チケット...", which is Katakana, in 1Password, "ちけっと", which is equivalent to "チケット", does not match with the one I want.

So I needed to convert it to "チケット" to get the wanted item.

It's not really a good experience for me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @k1832

Thank you for taking the time to report this. I've done some testing on my end here and you are absolutely correct that searching in Hiragana will not display corresponding results containing the same term using Katakana, and vice versa.

1Password Japanese search

I've gone ahead and filed a report for our Development team to investigate this further and determine what improvements can be made. While I don't have a timeline to provide how long this will take, I recommend ensuring that automatic updates are enabled for 1Password so that you can receive a fix as soon as it is avialable:

I do apologize for any interruption to your workflow. Let me know if you have any questions moving forward.

ref: dev/core/core#24781

• k1832
    k1832
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi @TimG1P

thank you very much for the response. I appreciate that you filed a report to the dev team. Looking forward to the update.

Thanks

• Thank you again for reporting the issue. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.