Using passkeys from iCloud Keychain as 2FA for 1Password

Options
alexiaa
alexiaa
Community Member
edited October 2023 in Mac

I registered a passkey stored in iCloud Keychain as two factor authentication for 1Password by scanning the QR code with my iPhone. This works to log in on my.1password.com, but the macOS and iOS apps (1Password 8, latest stable and nightly) only seem to accept a physical security key to sign in.

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @alexiaa! 👋

I'm sorry for the confusion. The 1Password apps currently don't support signing in with a passkey and using a passkey instead of a physical security key for your 1Password account's two-factor authentication isn't supported. I recommend that you remove the passkey since it won't work:

1. Log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app).
    2. Click your name in the top right and choose My Profile.
    3. Click More Actions > Manage Two-Factor Authentication.
    4. Remove the passkey that you saved.
    5. Remove the passkey from iCloud keychain as well.

Then, if you do have a physical security key like a YubiKey or Titan, you can add the security key using this guide: Use your security key as a second factor for your 1Password account

If you see a 1Password prompt appear offering to save a passkey then please press the security key icon in the prompt to use your physical security key instead:

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.