Is it possible to log in with 1PW passkey similar to MSA? (UX wise to improve convenience)

Options

I was wondering whether it would be possible to log into a service with a passkey stored into 1Password similar to how easy the login flow works when logging on with Microsoft Authenticator for Office 365? When I want to login, I get a push message via MSA, need to unlock it with Face ID then approve and once more verifies the biometric authentication (Face ID) and then provides access.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @mark24332! 👋

Thanks for the question! I believe that Microsoft Authenticator can only perform that sort of push notification for Microsoft accounts and not other accounts. Let me know if I have that wrong.

A website's server would need to send a push notification to the passkey manager (such as 1Password) in order to generate a notification on the user's iPhone. I'm not aware of any industry standard for this sort of authentication method as there is with the FIDO passkey standard that 1Password and other managers use.

What would be the use case for this sort of process? Isn't it easier to use 1Password in the browser to sign in to a website using a passkey rather than needing to approve a notification from your phone?

-Dave

• mark24332
    mark24332
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave, thanks for taking the time to respond. You’re right this is unique for MS services. After a secondary thought I cannot come up with a good use when this would be beneficial. 🤔

• Hey @mark24332,

Thank you for getting back to us, on behalf of Dave you are welcome.

Let us know if you have any further suggestions, we'd love to hear your thoughts!

• mark24332
    mark24332
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Steph. I should have given it a bit more thought before throwing in. 😅 But thanks for the response. I think I was just thinking of a way to speed up the login process as use case but you are right it is a bit counterintuitive having to pick your phone for it all the time. Plus I learned there is no industry standard. Thanks for the great product 1Password is. 🫶