One-Time Password not working

Options

I primarily work on Chrome on my PC, and I have a couple of websites that use MFA and the auto-filled one-time password that automatically populates doesn't work. I click on the extension and confirm it is the correct set of numbers but it still doesn't work. When I pull up 1Password on my iPhone, the numbers are different, and they work when I use them. Why do I have two different one-time passwords on my Chrome extension and my iPhone? How do I sync them up?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @splarson24,

In order for 2FA to work, both the website and your device need to generate the same exact 2FA code at the same time. If the website generates one that is different than yours, you will get an error that your code is incorrect.

2FA is highly reliant on your device's clock so my first suggestion would be to check the computer's clock and make sure it is as accurate as it can be, you can check with this website: https://time.is/.

Let us know how you get on and if this helps at all.

• Alekzander
    Alekzander
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi @steph.giles i don't think you understand what @splarson24 is saying, i have the same problem. I tried to login today on Amazon, i have the One-Time code feature turned on and the codes are generated within 1Password. When i tried to login today when i got to the step where it automatically fills the code i get an error saying that the code is incorrect. I managed to get into the account by using a different two factor method and i removed and re-added the 1Password One-Time code feature by scanning again the QR code with the 1Password Browser Extension and it still says wrong code even if it scans the code without a problem and adds it to the Amazon entry.

After i found this post i tried to see if the 1Password app on my phone is giving a different code to the same entry in the same time compared to the 1Password extension and it actually gives a different code which guess what, it worked. As i am writing this message i have in front of my eyes the same Amazon 1Password entry both on my phone an in the Browser extension and it shows 2 different codes, for the same entry, in the same time, so it's clearly something wrong with it...

I checked the 1Password Desktop app also and it shows the same code as the Browser extension, which doesn't work. The phone app though is showing a different code for the same entry which works, keep in mind that i don't have multiple OTP set-up for the Amazon entry and the entry and OTP was set-up via the Browser extension and i removed it and re-added it from Amazon and 1Password a couple of times to test it, same thing...

• Alekzander
    Alekzander
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, idk if you guys did something or not since yesterday but today it seems that the issue is fixed and the Browser extension is showing the same OTP code as the Phone and Desktop apps, so yeah, it seems to have been fixed... If you guys fixed it thanks if not, idk what caused it in the first place, but works properly now just fyi...

• Hey @Alekzander,

I'm sorry for the trouble, I'm glad the OTP code is now syncing across devices again.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

• J0zef
    J0zef
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, unfortunately I have the same problem. My 1password app on iPhone shows different number generated by one time password than 1Password app on the Windows desktop computer & Edge 1Password extension. App on PC and in browser shows same number, but they are not generated correctly. Working one is the one shown in iPhone app. I compared time using time.is webpage on PC and iPhone and it's exactly the same. I tried to check for PC 1Password app update and as well browser extension update but both are up to date. Please advise. Thank you.

• Alekzander
    Alekzander
    Community Member
    Options

Interesting, my issues seems to be fixed, i checked now multiple 1Password entries that have OTP and the codes seem to be synced across all devices. Maybe @steph.giles would be able to help you or share some info if this is a known issue that affects multiple users @J0zef