Copy password when changing

Options
9elsen
9elsen
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Is it possible to copy the new password when changing the old?
Often the password does not fill on the page when changing it, is there a convienient way to copy the new to the clipboard, so it is possible to manually fill it?

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: 2.17.0
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Chrome/Edge

Comments

• Hey @9elsen,

You can copy a generated password, if instead of selecting the generated password in the inline menu suggestion on a page, you click on the 1Password icon in your browser and copy and autofill the password from here.

With that being said, can you point me at those websites where the password does not fill so we can take a closer look and file an issue with our development team if necessary?

Thank you in advance.

• 9elsen
    9elsen
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

I think that my flow for updating the password might be wrong, or too cumbersome - I just realized that.
    Anyhow I did it by editing the item, which would then open the Windows client.
    Then changing the password did not offer any fast way to copy (see screenshot)
    I would first click use, then save, then copy the new password.

• Hi @9elsen,

Rather than clicking to edit the item, and generating a password within the desktop app, you can use the following steps to generate a new password and copy and paste it:

1. Click the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar.
    2. Click the Menu icon to the left of the "+ New Item" button.
    3. Select the Password Generator.
    4. Adjust the password to your liking, then click Copy.
      • Clicking Autofill instead will autofill the new password and bring up a prompt to update the existing item.
    5. Paste the password in the password field.
    6. Click the "Save in 1Password" suggestion to save the new password.
      • If you don't automatically see the "Save in 1Password" suggestion under the password field after pasting the password, click the 1Password icon within the field to view the menu.

Let us know if that works for you, and if you have any questions.

• 9elsen
    9elsen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot for sharing some tips @david.m_1P I tried this and it works now.

• @9elsen,

On behalf of David, you are most welcome.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with at all.