To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

How to sync or export to iCloud?

Options
newavalon
newavalon
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Memberships

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue. I'm trying to sync my 1Password passwords with iCloud, but it doesn't seem to be working any more.

I followed the steps in the 1Password documentation, but when I try to import the .cvs or .1pux file into the iCloud Keychain, but it only accepts .keychain files.

I don't know if there's something I need to do, like converting the files (and where and how to do it). I recently updated my entire database in 1Password and now everything is cleaner and more organized, but the new iOS update (and the upcoming macOS update) has improvements in the family password sharing feature, and I would like all the work it took me to leave my 1Password database in a tidy manner can at least pass it to iCloud and not have to update the passwords one by one.

1Password Version: 8.10.15
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Ventura 13.5.2
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @newavalon! 👋

Thank you for the question. Are you planning to migrate from 1Password to iCloud Keychain? If you are then I'd love to hear more about why you're considering leaving, we're very interested in learning the areas we need to improve, so your feedback will really help.

Since 1Password's data is encrypted, there isn't a way to sync data from 1Password to iCloud. That being said, you can export a CSV version of your Login and Password items from 1Password using this guide: How to export your data from the 1Password desktop app

Then, you can import the CSV file into Safari using a Mac. If you're running into trouble with importing the CSV file into Safari then I recommend that you reach out to Apple Support so that they can assist with that process.

-Dave

• newavalon
    newavalon
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Dave, 👋

Thank you for your prompt response. I want to clarify that I have no intention of leaving 1Password; I'm quite satisfied with the service. My inquiry was more about the possibility of syncing my 1Password data with iCloud Keychain, especially since iCloud has introduced some new features that allow for easier password sharing within my family on the Apple ecosystem.

I understand now that due to encryption, syncing between 1Password and iCloud is not possible. My aim was to ensure that the verified and secure data I have in 1Password could be mirrored in iCloud without having to manually review each entry. Your suggestion about exporting a CSV version of my Login and Password items is helpful, and I'll look into that.

Thank you for the insights, and I'll be sure to reach out to Apple Support if I encounter any issues with importing the CSV file into Safari.

Best regards

• evo
    evo
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, could you please clarify "1Password's data is encrypted, there isn't a way to sync data from 1Password to iCloud" ?

Since it was possible previously, e.g. 1Password 6 on Mac, What changed to make it now impossible ?

Your comment seems to imply this is a technical issue, while I always felt your decision to drop iCloud was arbitrary.
    Being one of the very early 1Password user, way back then, the loss of iCloud syncing is very upsetting.

When it comes to having my data online, any data, I want to keep it simple and I ONLY trust Apple. Therefore I am still using 1Password 6 on Mac because I want to sync with iCloud and nothing else.

But please clarify how 1Password data being encrypted makes impossible to sync via iCloud. If already discussed and explained somewhere, please point me to that.

Best,
    A disappointed 1Password long-time user

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

@evo

Thanks for the follow up! The original poster was asking if they could sync items stored in 1Password with Apple's own password manager, called iCloud Keychain. It's not possible to do this for the reasons described in my original reply.

It sounds like you're referring to the legacy iCloud sync method that old versions of 1Password used. This sync method didn't sync your items with iCloud Keychain, instead it used Apple's CloudKit API to sync the 1Password vault between Apple devices using iCloud itself. Your 1Password vault is completely separate from any information that you may have stored in iCloud Keychain.

1Password 8 indeed does not support old standalone vaults. 1Password.com vaults are more secure, are simpler to use, and are the future of 1Password. You can read some of our founder Dave's thoughts here: The future of local/standalone vaults — 1Password Support Community

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave