Gemini Crypto Exhange supports passkeys on IOS

Options
oUNderge
oUNderge
Community Member
edited October 2023 in iOS

Creation of passkey failed. See attachments. I guess this is a question for Gemini support.!!
Do you agree?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• oUNderge
    oUNderge
    Community Member
    Options

Here is the error message.

• oUNderge
    oUNderge
    Community Member
    Options

I was trying to create the passkey on an iPhone Xr IOS 17.01

• Hi @oUNderge

There is currently a bug in iOS 17 where you are unable to save and sign in with passkeys in 1Password (or other third-party credential managers) in native iOS apps, like Gemini Crypto Exchange. We're working with our friends over at Apple to get this resolved in a future release to iOS 17, so make sure to keep your iPhone updated: Update your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support.

Saving and signing in with passkeys in web browsers on iOS works as expected which is a workaround I'd suggest until a fix is available in iOS 17 :)

• oUNderge
    oUNderge
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your response. The Gemini site is down right now. I will try creating and using the passkey with Safari later.

• @oUNderge – Let us know how you get on when you get a chance to try it out. :)

• oUNderge
    oUNderge
    Community Member
    Options

Tried on my iPhone using both Safari and MS Edge for iPhone and passkey creation failed. Similar error messages. Screen captures includes with this post.

• @oUNderge

I'm sorry that things still aren't working. It looks like Gemini only supports the use of passkeys for two-factor authentication and not for passwordless login and I wonder if that might be causing an issue: Say gm to Passkeys: Add This Industry-Leading Security Feature to Your Gemini Account | Gemini

Are you able to save a passkey from the Gemini website using a desktop browser instead?

-Dave

• oUNderge
    oUNderge
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

1Password saves the passkey but I still get those errors with IOS browser, Windows browser or Gemini app.

• @oUNderge

I'm sorry that things aren't working on any of your devices. I'd like to ask you to send in a console log from your Windows browser, generated as you reproduce the issue on that device:

Attach the log to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• oUNderge
    oUNderge
    Community Member
    Options

Gemini updated their IOS app in the last few days. 1Password successfully saves the passkey but immediately after closing the 1password "save to" screen a message appears that says "There was an error" The data couldn't be read because it isn't in the correct format.

• @oUNderge

Thanks for the update. Regarding saving and signing in with passkeys with iOS apps, please see my colleague Jac's post from September 28th: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/696492/#Comment_696492

Unfortunately the same issue still exists in iOS 17.1, hopefully it's resolved in a future update to iOS soon.

Have you been able to save and sign in with a passkey using the Gemini website using the browser on your Windows PC since your previous post on October 17th?

-Dave

• oUNderge
    oUNderge
    Community Member
    Options

Logging on using a passkey on their website using a Windows PC is not possible. See message that pops up below.

• @oUNderge

Thanks for the reply, you previously mentioned that the Windows browser wasn't working so I wanted to follow up on that. Since it sounds like Gemini only supports passkeys in the iOS app, we'll need to wait for a fix for the passkey issue that I mentioned in my previous reply to come in a future update to iOS.

Let me know if you have any questions at this time.

-Dave