Is the 1Password Snap still supported?

Options
Bartwillemsen
Bartwillemsen
Community Member
edited June 2023 in Linux

I noticed that the 1Password Snap has not been updated since the 10th of January and is still on version 8.9.12, while the latest Linux release available is 8.10.7. I was always using the Snap version, but it seems that it is rarely updated. Is it still a recommended way to install the 1Password app or should I use the deb package instead?

Also, I do see there is an alternative Flatpak version available. Is this one still updated to the latest version, or is this one also behind just like the Snap version?

Thanks for the information!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 22.04.2
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hi @Bartwillemsen,

Currently it is recommended to use the platform specific version of 1Password for Linux. Those versions being deb, rpm or tar. You can read more here: https://support.1password.com/install-linux/

Franky

• Bartwillemsen
    Bartwillemsen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response @FrankyO1P ! I have indeed used the deb version now, which works. However on your link the Snap and Flatpak are still there as valid alternative options, so people will expect that they're also up to date:

I would still either add a warning that these options are not recommended anymore or just remove the Snap/Flatpak altogether since especially on Ubuntu when you look for 1Password in the software center, you will find the outdated Snap very easily.

• AliH1P
    Options

Hey @Bartwillemsen, I apologize for our delayed response. 1Password Snap/Flatpak releases are currently behind due to some issues. Our team is currently working on this but we don't have any further updates to share at the moment.

Ali

• Doug0915
    Doug0915
    Community Member
    Options

hi @AliH1P I can't imagine there are any trade secrets, but from a technical perspective I'd really be interested in what the hold up is. Not blaming anybody, just really interested as to what the roadblock is with the snaps and flatpaks.

• Hi @Doug0915

I apologize, we currently do not have any details to share regarding the Snap version of 1Password for Linux. However, at the time of writing this the Flatpak version of 1Password for Linux is on version 8.10.18 which is the latest version.

Franky

• Doug0915
    Doug0915
    Community Member
    Options

@FrankyO1P Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the flatpak is working now.

• Hi @Doug0915

You're most welcome! Let us know if you have any further questions or run into any issues. 🙂

Franky