Passkeys and 1 Password - can you answer these questions

Options
MAW444
MAW444
Community Member
edited October 2023 in Windows

I am thinking of switching over to Passkeys to open 1 Password. If I do:

• do I need to have my mobile to authenticate me every time I want to access the 1 Password vault? As an example, at the moment I have to enter my password when I open Chrome to access the vault - how does this work with Passkeys and

• there are some Windows machines where I cannot access my mobile phones. If i switch to passkeys can I logon to the vault using the 'traditional' method instead?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @MAW444, thanks for reaching out.

I'm glad to hear you're interested in unlocking 1Password with a passkey! As a note, this feature is currently in private beta. Be sure to sign up to our passkeys newsletter for the latest news and updates:

I'll be happy to address your questions:

do I need to have my mobile to authenticate me every time I want to access the 1 Password vault? As an example, at the moment I have to enter my password when I open Chrome to access the vault - how does this work with Passkeys and

If you've set up your passkey to unlock 1Password on your mobile device, then you would require your mobile device the first time you attempt to sign in on a new device:

If the passkey that unlocks your 1Password account is not available on the device you're using, then you will be presented with the option to scan a QR code using another device such as your phone.

For subsequent unlocks, if supported by the new device, you can use biometrics such as Windows Hello, Face ID/Touch ID on iOS/macOS, fingerprint on Android, or system Authentication on Linux.

there are some Windows machines where I cannot access my mobile phones. If i switch to passkeys can I logon to the vault using the 'traditional' method instead?

When passkey unlock is released, you will have the choice to:

• Unlock your 1Password account with a passkey.
    • Continue using an account password and Secret Key.
    • Use both options in tandem. So you can use a passkey on devices where it makes sense for you, and your account password and Secret Key in other scenarios.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Ali