Can't open 1P Windows Chrome or Firefox

Options
lesster
lesster
Community Member

As of this evening, when I try to open 1Password on Windows, on both Chrome and Firefox, the window opens, with the logo, family picture (generic) and a button that says Open 1Password, but clicking the button does nothing. (Actually, it darkens, indicating it was clicked, but nothing else happens.)

Restarted both browsers, then the computer, no change.

Turns out I have to log into the Windows app first, then it works in the browser.

I don't remember it behaving like this, but it's been a little while since I used it on Windows.

Is this new?
Is anyone else seeing this?

1Password Version: 8.10.20
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10 pro
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_mike_d
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @lesster,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry you've been encountering issues with 1Password in Chrome and Firefox opening unless you unlock the 1Password for Windows desktop app first.

It sounds like you are experiencing a communication issue between the extension and app. Could you let me know if following the steps below help to restore this connection?

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar and click 'Settings'.
    2. On the left sidebar click General and turn off the “Integrate with 1Password app” option.
    3. On the left sidebar click Accounts & vaults then click the three vertical dots (⋮) to sign out of your account.
    4. Sign back into your account.
    5. Fully close the web browser.
    6. Fully quit the 1Password app.

After that, please give your computer a restart to ensure no pending process prevents 1Password from connecting with the browser. Once your computer turns back on, continue with the following:

1. Open and sign into the 1Password app first.
    2. Left click the three vertical dots (⋮) in the top left corner and select 'Settings'.
    3. In the Browser tab, ensure 'Connect with 1Password in the browser' is checked.
    4. Then go ahead and re-open the web browser and turn on the "Integrate with 1Password app" option again in the “General” section.
    5. Test things out.

I look forward to hearing how things go!

• lesster
    lesster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply, sorry I didn't have time to follow up on this until now.

Short version is that I got through the first set of steps, restarted the computer, and everything worked from then on.

Do you have any idea how this integration got broken in the first place?

Just FYI, after I logged out of my account in part 1 step 3, some things seemed a bit weird.
    There was no option to sign in, only "Sign in to a new account".
    a) That must mean "new" as in one I'm not signed into now, but I'm not trying to create a new account.
    Just the text "Sign In" would be much clearer,
    b) It was still showing all Settings, and I could change them, which seems weird if I'm not logged in.

Thanks again.

• Hey @lesster, thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear the issue has been resolved after signing out of your account and rebooting your device.

Do you have any idea how this integration got broken in the first place?

It would be difficult to determine an exact reason without further investigation. If the issue does reoccur, we'll be happy to gather some logs from your device and dig deeper into the issue.

Just FYI, after I logged out of my account in part 1 step 3, some things seemed a bit weird.

There was no option to sign in, only "Sign in to a new account".
    a) That must mean "new" as in one I'm not signed into now, but I'm not trying to create a new account.
    Just the text "Sign In" would be much clearer,

That's correct, the "Sign in to a new account" refers to signing into an account that is not currently added to 1Password in your browser. I appreciate your feedback here and will pass it along to the relevant team.

b) It was still showing all Settings, and I could change them, which seems weird if I'm not logged in.

This would be the expected behaviour as there are a number of non-account related settings that can be changed without you being signed in.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Ali