Issues with the inline filling menu, browser icon, and unlocking with 1Password on macOS Sonoma

Options
valleyHemenway
valleyHemenway
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

The experience of using 1Password Safari extension has devolved to a point where it is nearly unusable. It so rarely works as intended that I have just started copy/pasting manually since it actually is faster than trying to see what part of the extension is going to work or not. I am not the first person to report any of these things, but I can list a few things just to check that box.

When clicking into a field, no box pops up below the field, even if you click on the 1P icon in the field.
If something does decide to show up, clicking on it doesn't fill in the data into the field.
The icon at the top of the browser sometimes works and sometimes does not
If it decides to work, sometimes it will autofill and sometimes it does not.
Sometimes if 1P is locked you can unlock it from the browser extension and sometime you cannot.

The only foolproof thing to do is just use the app, search for the login, and copy/paste the results.

Based on how many other posts I see about Sonoma issues, this is not isolated to me. What is the plan from 1Password to address this? I have used both the personal and the business versions of the software for years and have always been happy. Occasionally there are minor bugs that are quickly resolved. This is now over a month that I have had problems, let's get this resolved.

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: 2.16.0
OS Version: Sonma 14.0 (23A344)
Browser: Safari 17.0 (19616.1.27.211.1)

Comments

• billk69
    billk69
    Community Member
    Options

Been a customer since 2008. same issues . this is the worst release in many years. zero interoperability with Safari.

• Hi @valleyHemenway and @billk69 thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry you've been having so many issues using 1Password for Safari.

• Can you let me know if you're using multiple browsing profiles with Safari? If so, are you experiencing issues on all of the profiles?
    • Does toggling the 1Password extension in Safari off/on again improve the behaviour?

1. Open Safari. Right-click the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar and select "Manage Extension".
      2. Toggle the "1Password for Safari" extension off then on again.
    • After unlocking the 1Password desktop app, does restarting Safari improve the behaviour at all?

If those suggestions don't help, can you send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report so we can investigate further?

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive a reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thank you!

• billk69
    billk69
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Chris

thanks for responding

• I don't use multiple profiles
    • FWIW - I have 1PW set to NOT be used when private browsing
    • I toggled the extension as you described , cleared History, closed and re-opened Safari and PRESTO, it now works as expected.

Normally I have to restart Safari often to get 1PW to work. Had not tried your suggestion before. I'll make a note of it for the future.

Thanks for your help

• Hey @billk69,

Thank you for the update, I'm glad things are back on track.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with at all.

• valleyHemenway
    valleyHemenway
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    I am using three different profiles. It is happening on all profiles, but I couldn't say if the default profile is worse or better than the others.

I will do the steps listed and provide feedback. Is this a permanent fix or is this something I will continue to have to do because of a problem with the software?

• valleyHemenway
    valleyHemenway
    Community Member
    Options

The steps has made 1Password function as expected in my default profile but the issue still remains in my other two Safari profiles.

• valleyHemenway
    valleyHemenway
    Community Member
    Options

It also appears that the extension for Chrome is working with no issues. So it is specifically something with Safari and Sonoma. Possibly with profiles?

• valleyHemenway
    valleyHemenway
    Community Member
    Options

Email sent. I have also emailed the files as requested. I noticed during this process that if I wait long enough, sometimes 1Password finally works. For example, I click into a field and it shows the locked 1P icon. I click on it and it asks for my TouchID. I do that and then nothing happens. If I wait for a while eventually it will sometimes show the 1P list in the field as expected. The same thing happens if I click on the 1P icon at the top of the browser. Sometimes it will just show the "Open 1Password" message and if I wait long enough finally load the 1Password data, other times it doesn't ever load (or at least I don't wait long enough).

• Hey @valleyHemenway,

I'm sorry for the delayed response, thank you for sharing the details of the behaviour you are seeing.

Can you share your Support ID here so I can locate your ticket?

Thank you!

• billk69
    billk69
    Community Member
    Options

Issues persist ... ex. 1PW is unlocked and visible in safari browser menu. On any safari page with a fill-in field for any info (CC#, address, username), the 1PW icon does not appear in the fill-in box. I right click on 1pw, go to manage extension, select the checkbox off/on/off/on. close the box. the 1pw icon now appears in the fill-in field. when I place my cursor in the field, the appropriate info from 1pw shows up as a selectable box below the field. when i select the 1pw info, nothing happens and the field remains blank. after trying this a cooupel times, the 1pw info no longer appears below. If I refresh the browser page, it works as expected.

I have also noticed that when trying to use 1PW with manually copy/ paste from the app in the safari menu, that it takes two clicks in the field before the cursor appears in the field and I can paste the data. ex. click on 1pw app in safari menu, select copy for username. place cursor onfill-in field and click. nothign happens. click again in field and cursor is showing a blinking vertical line so now the field is active and selected. right click and paste

• valleyHemenway
    valleyHemenway
    Community Member
    Options

XLN-55993-699

For the most part it seems that when I think that 1Password is not working, it is just very slow. Example would be just now trying to sign into the community page to make this post. I clicked into the username field and it showed the locked icon even though 1PW was not locked. After about 3-4 seconds it changed to the normal icon and then 2-3 seconds later it finally showed the login option to click on. So 5-7 seconds in total for it to work.

I have also experienced it where clicking on the data in the 1PW inline box doesn't work, but I think that might have been fixed with the latest update b/c I haven't had that problem for a while.

So it seems that the biggest issue right now is how long it is taking. When I have been emailed support, it would appear that the browser plugin is disconnecting from the app and that is causing the delay.