Signing in to websites with passkeys

Options
am212
am212
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Apologies if this is a basic question but I just can't seem to get it to work.

I've got a passkey saved in 1Password for Amazon but, when I go to log in to the Amazon website, I can't find a way to login with the 1password passkey. When I choose the sign in with passkey option, it looks like MacOS/iOS is trying to handle the passkey authentication natively, rather than using the passkey saved in 1Password. (Also, having this option enabled also results in MacOS and 1Password both trying to autofill/suggest passwords, which is messy.)

What am I doing wrong?

I'm using Safari on iOS 17.0.3 and MacOS 14.0 to log in to amazon.co.uk and can't get it work properly with either device.

(Follow up question: can you use 1password passkeys to log in to the Amazon app?)

Thanks in advance

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• steph.giles
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hey @am212,

Can you start by opening Safari on your Mac and confirm if you see a 1Password icon in your browser toolbar? If yes, can you right click the icon and choose Settings > About and let me know the version you are using?

• am212
    am212
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Can you start by opening Safari on your Mac and confirm if you see a 1Password icon in your browser toolbar?

Yes

If yes, can you right click the icon and choose Settings > About and let me know the version you are using?

Yes, it's

1Password in the browser 2.16.0
    21600003, on STABLE channel

This is what I see in screenshots...

1Password suggests my email address and there is an icon suggesting passkeys are available

I click the 1Password prompt and it autofills my email address, and I click Continue, which takes me to this screen

Here, 1Password pre-fills my password but, because I'm wanting to use passkeys, I click 'Sign in with a passkey'

Safari prompts me to set things up to work with passkeys and invites me to go to my settings

My settings look like this

I think I was kind of expecting to see 1Password under the 'Use passwords and passkeys from...' option but I don't see 1Password there...?

• Thank you for getting back to me @am212.

In the screenshot you have shared from your password settings can you toggle off 'Autofill Passwords and Passkeys' and then try again and see if 1Password prompts you to sign in with a passkey?

In addition, can you right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and under general make sure 'Make 1Password the default password manager' is toggled on?

Let us know how you get on!

• am212
    am212
    Community Member
    Options

In the screenshot you have shared from your password settings can you toggle off 'Autofill Passwords and Passkeys' and then try again and see if 1Password prompts you to sign in with a passkey?

Done but it's not changed anything :(

In addition, can you right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and under general make sure 'Make 1Password the default password manager' is toggled on?

Yes, it is

• I'm sorry for the delayed response @am212.

When you try to fill a standard password in Safari do you also see iCloud Keychain interfering here?

Can you also give these steps a try and uncheck all of the options under autofill: Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser.

Let us know if this makes a difference.

• am212
    am212
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - thanks again for your help.

Passkeys actually seem to be working correctly on ebay and google for me, so I'm guessing this is either an amazon specific thing, or specific to my amazon account. Either way, I'm not that bothered, I'll leave it for now and try again another time.

• blgentry
    blgentry
    Community Member
    Options

Since you had MacOS passkey support turned on, it is likely that the passkey you generated at Amazon is stored inside MacOS keychain. You need a passkey for Amazon that is stored in 1password.

Check your Amazon login record in 1password. Does it show a passkey? Or just a password?

If there is no passkey yet, you can get Amazon to generate one. Now that you have password filling disabled in MacOS, you should be able to generate another passkey inside of Amazon. This time, you should see a popup from 1password asking to save that passkey.

After that passkey is saved in 1pass, you can test logging in with it. It works this way on my system.

Good luck,
    Brian.