unlock with windows hello not working

Options
msoileau
msoileau
Community Member
edited July 2023 in Windows

Hi, I have 1 user who reports that even though unlock with windows hello is enabled and PIN set up, its prompting her to unlock with 1pw password every time. I've reinstalled the app as well as renamed the sqlite file in %appdata%. What are my next steps?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 11
Browser: chrome

Comments

• Hello @msoileau,

Sorry for the delay in response here. If you've previously sent a request for help via email to the 1Password Customer Support team, we'll reply there to continue the conversation. Thanks!

• MGS
    MGS
    Community Member
    Options

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing the same strange behaviour and outcome. Using Windows Hello (pin code prompt) will result in a failure if I type the wrong pin code, but will revert back to the password field if I enter the correct pin code.

Using the latest Windows 11 version and 1Password 8-client.

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

@MGS

I'm sorry that you're running into a similar issue. As a first step, I suggest that you remove and then re-add all of your Windows Hello options, such as facial recognition, fingerprint and PIN. If the option to remove the PIN is greyed out, you may need to disable the option to “only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts” on this device first.

You can find your current Windows sign-in options using these steps:

1. In the Windows search bar, type “Account”, then select Manage Your Account
    2. Select Sign-In Options.
    3. Here you should find a list of your current sign-in options. Remove any Windows Hello-associated options, such as fingerprint, face, and PIN.
    4. Re-add any options you’d like to use as part of your Windows Hello setup.

Once that is done, you can follow this guide on using Windows Hello to unlock 1Password on your Windows PC.

Let me know if that doesn't resolve the issue and I can help further.

-Dave

• MGS
    MGS
    Community Member
    Options

hi @Dave_1P ,

I've tried everything you suggested, but using Windows Hello results in 1Password staying locked and reverting back to the password field instead of the Windows Hello-popup.

Is there any way to debug 1Password?

• jtroth
    jtroth
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem the past few days. I use the Firefox browser on Win 11 (everything kept up to date automatically) and suddenly Windows Hello isn't working for the 1password extension. I've rebooted my pc, and I've deleted and reinstalled the Firefox extension, but it still doesn't offer Windows Hello as an option in the Security Settings. I have to use my password every time. Something got broken quite recently !!

• @MGS and @jtroth

I'm sorry that Windows Hello still isn't working. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• jtroth
    jtroth
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Oh I'm so sorry, I had meant to update this thread and forgot to. My problem is resolved once I correctly removed and reinstalled the extension. Thanks for checking up though!

• @jtroth

I'm happy to hear that you were able to resolve the issue. 🙂

-Dave

• MGS
    MGS
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P ,

My support ID is [#HCN-37273-482].

In the meantime I've tried to fix it by reinstalling 1Password and even the 1Password browser-extention, but no luck.

Hopefully the diagnostics file might shed some light on what's going on.

• @MGS

Thank you for posting the Support ID. I see that my colleague has responded to your email, please continue the conversation there and the support team will be able to help further.

-Dave

ref: HCN-37273-482

• tokyo_teacher
    tokyo_teacher
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for this thread. I am experiencing the issue also and will send a diagnostic report to Support per the above.

• Hello @tokyo_teacher,

I'm sorry you've also been experiencing issues with Windows Hello unlock and appreciate you sending along a diagnostics report. We'll be looking forward to reply and the support ID number here.

Have a great day in the meantime!