Proper way to switch back to Prod Channel

Options

Hi,

I put one of my machines on the beta channel about a year ago to test something. A few months after I changed my preferences back to Prod channel. I have checked the preference several times, and it still says prod channel.

Several upgrades have happened over the last 8 months, but I am still getting beta releases installed.

Today I downloaded 1PW v8 directly from your site, and installed it, in an attempt to go back on prod channel.
After installing 1PW will no longer start up. I am posting instead of emailing with the hopes that someone else might be helped by the 1PW instructions.

Here is the startup error: Your saved data appears to be newer than this version of 1Password can use. Please update 1Password to its latest version. Contact support@1password.com for help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 14.1
Browser: Chrome, Safari, Firefox

Comments

• Blake
    edited November 2023
    Options

Howdy @sknaffla!

If you haven't already, can you try completely uninstalling 1Password using the instructions below, including the extra steps to remove your 1Password data and let me know if that clears things up after reinstalling?

https://support.1password.com/uninstall-1password/

Just make sure you have your Emergency Kit handy prior to the uninstall, and I think this should put you in a proper state.

• sknaffla
    sknaffla
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Blake. Kind of a pain to swap off Beta, as I had to go and completely delete all preference and library files, and re-install; But it did work.
    It might be nice if you could create an uninstall script that would do the hunting and deleting the necessary files and directories in all the separate directories.

• @sknaffla

I'm sorry for the frustration, I agree that the process should be easier. Once you switch the release channel in the app back to Production, the app should update to the Production version when a version higher than your current Beta version is available.

At the moment, there appear to be a few issues with this automatic process and our developers are investigating. I've added your comments to the internal work item for the issue. Blake's instructions are the best workaround for now.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#16674

• sknaffla
    sknaffla
    Community Member
    Options

That is a good point, since I had been on it for month and months -- I could have turned off auto updates, then my beta version would be behind the next release when it came out.
    I had updates on, so my beta was always newer than the released prod version.

• @sknaffla

To clarify: changing the release channel from Beta to Production, while keeping automatic updates on, should eventually switch you over to Production but there's a bug that's preventing that from always happening at the moment. We hope to improve the situation in the future.

-Dave