1Password in Lockdown Mode

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited November 2023 in iOS

There was a prior Discussion I posted when Lockdown Mode was in Beta.

There's a new Apple and Android Feature, Lockdown Mode, which disables most of the iOS/iPadOS/Android not secure Features.

https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT212650

https://www.lifewire.com/use-android-lockdown-mode-6287933

How does 1Password work when the Device is in Lockdown Mode. Lockdown is available for iOS/iPadOS 16 and Ventura. Available for Android too but but I'm not on Android much.

It seems like State Actors are going to put Spyware in Phones now... Laws are being passed. Apple seems to suggest that Lockdown Mode will block such Spyware.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/europe/france-passes-bill-for-police-to-spy-via-phones/articleshow/101557845.cms?from=mdr

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Lockdown mode is not supported by 1Password for Safari. Our developers have looked into this and confirm that 1Password for Safari isn't supported when using Lockdown Mode. Lockdown Mode disables certain features of the Safari browser that our extension requires in order to function.

If you wish to use Lockdown Mode on iOS then you can use Password AutoFill to fill and save passwords: Use 1Password to fill and save in apps and browsers on your iPhone and iPad

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Tommy.

• Anytime my friend. 🙂

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Has 1Password been tested for Lockdown Mode on Android? I don't have an Android phone which supports Lockdown Mode, my Android phone is an Android 9 phone. However it would be good to know if 1Password 8 can work with Lockdown Mode on Android. Lockdown Mode is available on newer Android phones.

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2023
    Options

Because of the commonality between the different versions of 1Password. I would think the same would apply to Android. I'll ask one the Android folks to chime in to make sure I am thinking correctly.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@wkleem

I'm not seeing a Lockdown Mode or anything similar on my Pixel 7 Pro. Would you mind letting me know on what device you've seen this? Then we'll be able to take a look and find out more about what limitations it imposes on the device.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi,

There is a link to Lifewire.

https://www.lifewire.com/use-android-lockdown-mode-6287933

Hold down the phone's Power Button until the screen shows. I don't have any compatible Device now.

"How to Enable Lockdown Mode in Android"
    "To enable lockdown mode, you only need to select it from the power options menu."

"Press and hold the power button on the side of your Android phone. Hold it down for a few seconds until the Power Options menu appears."

"Select Lockdown from the options. It is labeled as such under the button, while the button itself has a small padlock icon."

"Lockdown mode is similar to locking your phone, but it does so in a more secure manner."

I'm guessing the latest Android OS/Android Phones have this feature.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@wkleem

Ah, I see. That "Lockdown" is an action, rather than a state. When you tap Lockdown in the power menu, it'll lock the device, won't show any notifications on the lock screen, and will disable biometrics, meaning you'll have to use your PIN, gesture, or password to unlock.

However, once you unlock the device again, all of those features are turned back on.

So although they're both called the same thing, Lockdown Mode on iOS and the Lockdown button in the power menu on Android perform quite different functions.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

Thank you, @GreyM1P

How does 1Password work (or not work though)? I’d be interested to know. It is my OP for iOS/iPadOS/Android.

State Actors increasingly are using for example Face ID. 1Password can use Face ID if it’s available. I only have Touch ID devices.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

This is for Lockdown Mode which only appears to work with Apple Silicon Macs with Ventura.

https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT212650

"Device connections - To connect your iPhone or iPad to an accessory or another computer, the device needs to be unlocked. To connect your Mac laptop with Apple silicon to an accessory, your Mac needs to be unlocked and explicit approval provided."

How to enable Lockdown Mode on Mac
    Choose the Apple menu  > System Settings.
    From the sidebar, click Privacy & Security.
    Scroll down to Lockdown Mode, then click Turn On.
    If prompted, enter the user password.
    Click Turn On & Restart.
    When Lockdown Mode is enabled, you might receive notifications when an app or feature is limited, and a banner in Safari indicates that Lockdown Mode is on.
    Lockdown Mode needs to be enabled separately on each device.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@wkleem

When Lockdown Mode is turned on in macOS or iOS, the 1Password Safari extension won't work. Apple turns off specific web technologies that 1Password needs to operate in Safari. In summary:

On a Mac:

• The main 1Password app will continue to work as expected
    • 1Password in other supported browsers will continue to work as expected
    • 1Password for Safari won't work
    • Biometrics, such as Touch ID or unlocking with an Apple Watch, will continue to work as expected

On iOS:

• The main 1Password app will continue to work as expected
    • Password AutoFill will continue to work as expected, allowing you to autofill into apps and browsers (including Safari) by tapping the "🔑 Passwords" button on the keyboard as before
    • 1Password for Safari won't work
    • Biometrics, such as Face ID or Touch ID, will continue to work as expected

If you're concerned about being compelled to unlock 1Password using biometrics, you should turn those features off by opening 1Password on your devices, going to Settings > Security, and turning off Touch ID, Face ID, and/or unlocking with Apple Watch as appropriate. 1Password will then require your account password to unlock each time.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

If you're concerned about being compelled to unlock 1Password using biometrics, you should turn those features off by opening 1Password on your devices, going to Settings > Security, and turning off Touch ID, Face ID, and/or unlocking with Apple Watch as appropriate. 1Password will then require your account password to unlock each time.

Is it the same for Android?

Thank you.

• GreyM1P
    Options

@wkleem

Yes. The Security section of 1Password's Settings on Android will let you turn off unlocking with biometrics in the same way.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2023
    Options

It sounds like, Apple will provide a Lockdown Mode API.

https://youtu.be/JycrqFbahkc

• Hi @wkleem, thanks for sharing that! That looks very interesting. I'll be sure to pass it along to the team.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy,

Has anyone from 1Password looked further into Lockdown Mode? iOS/iPadOS 17 had been out for some months now and there had been improvements from iOS/iPadOS 16, however I don't know what those "improvements" are since I'm not using this feature on my Devices.

• @wkleem

My colleague Tommy's statement from back in July would still apply: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/691905/#Comment_691905

For more information about using Lockdown mode or for information about what kinds of new features are available for your devices through the latest versions of iOS and iPadOS, I would recommend reaching out to Apple Support since they'd be in the best position to discuss that. 🙂

-Dave

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P,

Thank you. 1Password, as a Security minded Company, I thought I would share Lockdown Mode (iOS/iPadOS/Android/Mac) with 1Password.

Mostly I'm interested in the Mobile Side for Lockdown Mode.

• Thank you for sharing with the community. 🙂

-Dave