Attachments encrypted?

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Are documents / attachments encrypted?.

Comments

• garciagu
    garciagu
    Community Member
    Options

When I select an attachment a menu arrow is disclosed, I click on the pulldown arrow and I select "Show in Finder".

I can then navigate to that file location on my hard drive and I can open it without having to be logged into 1Password.

Looks to me like the attachment is stored in clear text and anyone with access to my hard drive can read it because it is not stored encrypted.

Can you please advise?

• Hello @garciagu! 👋

Thanks for the question. I've split your comment into a dedicated post so that we can discuss it separately. So that I can better understand the situation can you please tell me the following:

1. You mentioned Finder so I assume that this is on a Mac, are you using 1Password 8 or an earlier version of 1Password? If earlier then which specific version?
    2. Can you post the full filepath/location of the file that you're referring to? Please remove any personally identifiable folder names from the path before posting.

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• garciagu
    garciagu
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Dave,

After several discussion posts a Reddit user answer my question.

Basically I am on 1Password 7 for Mac. Even though I'm a hybrid user having a vault in the cloud but also one who must keep other passwords in a local vault therefore do not have the luxury of upgrading to 1P 8 given that 1P 8 does not offer the option of local vaults

I noticed that when I open an attachment the document can be access independently outside of 1P by doing a search for the document and finding the path where the document is stored.

This let me with the impression that the document was permanently stored there and in clear text.

It wasn't until a Reddit user pointed out that the placement of the document in that location is a temporary one and it gets deleted as soon as 1P is locked.

Therefore, the document is on the hard drive in clear text only after I take action to view it and for the duration of the 1P session. Outside this time window the document remains encrypted. That is fine for me and meets my requirements

Thank you

Gustavo

• @garciagu

I'm happy that the Reddit discussion answered your questions. Indeed, the 1Password app has to decrypt your file somewhere on your Mac locally before it can be opened.

Please let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. 🙂

-Dave