Friction using 1Password in Android

Options
myunggg
myunggg
Community Member

I've switched from iOS to Android, and have found the 1Password experience to be much harder to use on Android :(

1. When signing into a new app, the prompt to "Open 1Password" will appear – inconsistently. If I'm attempting to sign into an account via the Chrome browser, the "Open 1Password" prompt often does not appear.
  2. When I tap "Open 1Password", I am regularly prompted to enter my password – even though I've enabled biometric password and have entered my password less than 1 hour ago.
  3. Once I've signed into 1Password, it provides no suggestions for the app's credentials - even though they exist :( I have to manually type in the app's name, and use the "Fill Anyway" option.

1Password Version: 8.10.12
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 13
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• Hello @myunggg, thanks for writing in. I'm sorry there has been some friction getting started with 1Password for Android and I would be happy to help with that.

If I'm attempting to sign into an account via the Chrome browser, the "Open 1Password" prompt often does not appear.

Autofill issues can stem from a number of sources. I'd like to ask you to share a few of the apps or websites where you've seen an issue, along with if there has been an inconsistent filling response, or no filling response at all in the given app/website. This will help us investigate the issue further.

When I tap "Open 1Password", I am regularly prompted to enter my password – even though I've enabled biometric password...

Are you prompted for your fingerprint when you open 1Password directly or is your account password always required?

If you happen to be using a newer Pixel device, "Verify it is you in apps" may need to be enabled:
    1. Open device setting.
    2. Select Security & privacy.
    3. Select Face and Fingerprint Unlock, or the biometric unlock menu on your device.
    4. Set "Verify it is you in apps" on. This may prompt you if you wish to use face unlock or fingerprint unlock, please select Fingerprint unlock.

If you're not using a newer Pixel device or you're still seeing issues, you can reset Biometric unlock in 1Password:
    I'd like to ask you to reset Biometric unlock:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password for Android.
    2. Tap the account or collection icon.
    3. Tap Settings > Security.
    4. Under Unlock, select Password.
    5. Under Unlock, select Biometric.
    6. Tap back then close the Settings menu.
    7. Tap the account or collection icon > Lock.
    8. Enter your account password and unlock 1Password to finish Biometric unlock setup.

...and have entered my password less than 1 hour ago.

With Auto-Lock on Exit set to one hour, 1Password will stay unlocked for the set time. If 1Password is locked directly, closed completely, or the device restarts, the app will lock ahead of that time. Additionally, device features such as battery and data optimizations may lock 1Password prematurely.

Once I've signed into 1Password, it provides no suggestions for the app's credentials - even though they exist

For 1Password to suggest an item in an Android app, an Android app link is required. Without an app link, 1Password does not know that a particular item is associated with an app. To add an app link to an existing item:
    1. Open an app and tap a sign in field.
    2. Select "Open 1Password".
    3. Search for the item by title.
    4. Select the item, then tap "Fill & Update Login".

• myunggg
    myunggg
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @ag_timothy!

Autofill issues can stem from a number of sources. I'd like to ask you to share a few of the apps or websites where you've seen an issue, along with if there has been an inconsistent filling response, or no filling response at all in the given app/website. This will help us investigate the issue further.

I've recently had this issue with Chargepoint and Babylist apps. A website where i do see this issue regularly is my medical provider's MyChart. The filling response for MyChart has been inconsistent. For Chargepoint and Babylist, I've only attempted sign-in once, so there was no filling response that single time.

Are you prompted for your fingerprint when you open 1Password directly or is your account password always required?

My error here. It looks like I inadvertently changed the security setting.

For 1Password to suggest an item in an Android app, an Android app link is required. Without an app link, 1Password does not know that a particular item is associated with an app. To add an app link to an existing item:

Yes, got it. This is unfortunately less seamless than the iOS experience though :/ With my iPhone device I didn't have to manually update my login for the iOS app.

• Thanks for your reply @myunggg

I did some testing with the Chargepoint and Babylist apps. I was able to consistently fill in the Chargepoint app. If you're not seeing a prompt from 1Password after tapping the email field, you can try "forcing" Autofill:
    1. Tap a sign-in field to open the keyboard.
    2. Long press the sign in field.
    3. Tap Autofill or ⋮ > Autofill in the context menu (where you might normally see copy/paste).

After selecting "Autofill" a prompt from 1Password should appear allowing you to fill as expected.

With Babylist, I only saw a response from 1Password in the password field. Selecting that prompt allowed me to fill a password but not an email. I've gone ahead and reported that to the team here.

For the email field, you can type it in, copy and paste, or use split screen mode to drag and drop your email.

I've previously done some testing with the MyChart app and website. Due to how it's structured, with multiple organization's sign in portals, it can be quite challenging to fill consistently. My apologies for the trouble here. If you'd like to share the organization that you sign into via MyChart, I'd be happy to take a look and report any issues to the team.

This is unfortunately less seamless than the iOS experience

Many iOS apps include associated domains which allows 1Password for iOS to reliably link to an app that has claimed the associated URL. Android apps do not include the same feature, so this is not a service we can currently provide.

Thanks again!

• nerdblogpl
    nerdblogpl
    Community Member
    Options

Lots of these issues were easy to work around when 1Password had the keyboard option. Unfortunately it was removed with no good alternative (multi-window and drag & dropping your password is not a good alternative).

The only option is to downgrade to 1Password 7 and hope 1Password 9 will bring the revolutionary and unexpected change that is bringing back the keyboard 🥲

• Hi @nerdblogpl, thanks for sharing this feedback.

I appreciate you championing the 1Password keyboard, and I can certainly understand your perspective on this. I hope the continuing updates to Autofill in 1Password 8 will suit your needs in the not-so-distant future.

If there's anything else we can help with in the mean time, just let me know!

• TomMcK
    TomMcK
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. First timer here and problems with Android. 1) Login on Android to New York Times app on 1 android device and 1password sets the website to android://pDE4kfmLaViuosNRIXGRS2i4JaRyGHj1kZt7LBlYWWVw_XGQxmEEZSSU2ZEAbxr3zp5ht0tHNt1TQaPkBNGWhA==@com.nytimes.android/. To also log into the website I need to set up a separate entry in 1password for the website. So the update function appears to merely replace the website address with the android app ID, rather than adding it to the entry. Am I correct?
    2) On another Android device (mine) I try to log into the app using 1password but 1 password icon does not appear (even when I select autofill). Nor does 1password ask me to update the entry for the NY Times app. When I look at 1password on my device, it shows the same android appid ID as above. I don't even see how to create a separate entry on my device for the NY Times app.

Questions: Can you verify that my analysis is correct? Also, how do I set up NY Times app on my device separate from my wife's? Do I need a separate vault for my apps from the family vault?