TouchID not working in Safari

Options
cortig
cortig
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

TouchID with the Safari extension has been problematic for me lately. It used to work flawlessly, then stopped altogether, then briefly worked again and now it’s once again no longer working and I systematically have to type my password every single time I need to unlock. I read in previous threads that it had been removed and readded at some point. Has it been removed again?

1Password Version: 8.10.16-8.NIGHTLY
Extension Version: 2.14.1
OS Version: 13.6 or 14.0
Browser: Safari

Comments

• josmac
    josmac
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. It has always worked well, but now requires entering main 1P password each time. Can not authenticate with either Touch ID nor my Apple watch. 1Password in the browser 2.13.0
    21300009, on STABLE channel + 1Password for Mac 8.10.13 (81013005).

Thanks, Joseph

• Hello @cortig! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password isn't working properly Touch ID. It sounds like communication between the 1Password extension in your browser and the 1Password for Mac app has broken down. Please try the following:

1. Close all open web browsers.
    2. Right-click on the 1Password icon at the top of your Mac's screen and then click Quit. Wait until the icon disappears.
    3. Double-click on 1Password from your Mac's Application folder.
    4. Open your web browser.

Let me know if that fixes the issue.

@josmac

The latest version of the extension is 2.14.1, please update and then restart the your browser and let me know if that improves things: How to keep 1Password up to date in your browser

-Dave

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P,

It worked… Weirdly, when I first clicked on the 1Password icon in the Safari toolbar, it behaved as if I had never used the extension before and when through explaining how to use it, etc. But after that, it connected with the app and showed me my data.
    For good measures, I tried locking the app and up losing in Safari and was asked to use my fingerprint.
    Not sure why it had stopped working, but I sure am glad you had a workaround.

Corentin

• josmac
    josmac
    Community Member
    Options

The update squared things for me. Thanks for the link to getting those updates automatically. My bad for not checking if I was up to date. Always a first step in troubleshooting. Thanks!

• @cortig and @josmac

I'm happy to hear that the update resolved the issue for you both. 🙂

-Dave

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

The issue is back for me (1Password for Safari 2.16.0; 1Password 8.10.20-37.NIGHTLY).
    It looks like there is some sort of regression there :-\
    Also, the Safari extension is asking me for the password again after only a few seconds. Really annoying :'-(

The same workaround as last time worked, but I wonder why it keeps on coming back at random times.
    Also, I was wondering, is there a Testflight version of 1Password for Safari? Since I'm using the beta of 1Password itself, it feel like it'd make sense to have things on the forefront for the Safari extension as well…

Corentin

• Hey @cortig,

You can install the beta version of 1Password for Safari from here: Use 1Password beta releases.

With that being said, if you are continuing to have issues I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• cortig
    cortig
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi “@steph.giles",

The issue isn’t back yet at this point so I don’t have anything worth looking at in the logs. If it comes back I’ll happily send the logs your way.
    I had seen that page for β versions of 1Password “for the browser”, but as far as I can remember back, the Safari one through Testflight has always been full.

Corentin

• Thanks for getting back to me @cortig, let us know if we can further assist.

You're right, everything behind TestFlight has limited spaces but we recommend you keep trying until a space becomes available.