App and browser integration?

Options
Eragon615
Eragon615
Community Member

I use 1Password at home and at work, and neither place does the browser integration unlock with the app like it's supposed to.

Now, I know I'm not exactly using the most common configuration here. This is more a post to see if anyone else has gotten it to work than a complaint. At both work and home, I run the KDE desktop, wayland, and the Vivaldi browser. The only real difference is I use Fedora at work and Arch at home. Unfortunately, between the 4 or so devices that makes up, none of them can unlock the browser extension automatically. I've tried cycling both the app and extension, but the extension always just says,
"Problem connecting. ⬤ Please make sure the 1Password app is unlocked."
I can't actually copy paste that, so I typed it by hand. Also, the circle has a color, but I'm colorblind and I'm not sure what color it is...

Anyway, love 1Pass, but this has been bugging me for weeks now so I figured I'd ask around and see if anyone knew a way to fix it.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.16
OS Version: Arch Linux
Browser: Vivaldi

Comments

• Hi @Eragon615,

Thanks so much for writing in! On Linux, 1Password checks browsers against a baked-in list of supported browsers, and only connects to those browsers. However, it is possible to add Vivaldi to a list of custom supported browsers, and this will let 1Password in your browser connect to the 1Password desktop app. Here's how to do it:

1. Open a terminal, and run sudo mkdir /etc/1password (if you've done this already, you can skip it).
    2. Run cd /etc/1password.
    3. Run sudo nano custom_allowed_browsers.
    • Feel free to use your preferred text editor in place of nano
    1. Paste in the appropriate browser binary name - such as opera or in this case vivaldi-bin.
    2. Save the file - in Nano, this is done by Ctrl+x -> y -> Enter
    3. In terminal, run sudo chown root:root /etc/1password/custom_allowed_browsers && sudo chmod 755 /etc/1password/custom_allowed_browsers
    4. Run 1Password - it will read our new config file and make the appropriate connections.

Let me know how that goes or if you have any questions.

Franky

• Eragon615
    Eragon615
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm, it works! Glad you have that feature to allow custom browsers. Vivaldi has just about every feature I want out of a browser so I wouldn't leave it just for the integration, but this way I can have my cake and eat it too! Thanks for the response.

• @Eragon615

On Franky's behalf, you're very welcome. :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Is this also possible to get Firefox Snap working with the desktop app? 🤔

• Hi @DenalB,

Currently the Snap version of Firefox is not supported with the shared lock state feature. This is due to how native messaging works with sandboxed apps. I'll let the team know about your interest in using the Snap version of Firefox with the shared lock state feature.

Franky

• QyRoN
    QyRoN
    Community Member
    Options

@FrankyO1P
    Is there similar trick for MacOS? I'm using custom-build Chromium browser and want to allowlist it in similar manner.

• Hey @QyRoN, the custom_allowed_browsers file will only work on Linux.

However, for macOS (and other operating systems) we're working on a simple way to add trusted browsers. For more details, I'd like to direct you to this community post:

Let me know if that helps or if you have any questions.

Ali

• QyRoN
    QyRoN
    Community Member
    Options

@AliH1P
    Unfortunately that didn't work and I got message that "That application didn't work. The selected application was not signed. Make sure that it came from a trusted source". That's pretty disappointing limitation as there are lots of non-signed applications for MacOs that still can be trusted.

Is there any workaround?

• Hey @QyRoN, thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear that didn't work for you.

The feature I mentioned does indeed only work with code-signed browsers. We don't have any workarounds for this at this time.

That said, I would be happy to file a feature request for this on your behalf - let me know.

Ali