Why doesn't Open in 1Password actually open in 1Password?

Options
mschmitt
mschmitt
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

One thing I find frustrating about 1Password 8 is the integration between the menu bar app, browser plug-ins, and the 1Password app is flakey.

For example:

1. Click on 1Password in menubar to open Quick Access (which I have set to the default action)
  2. Enter a login name. It is found.
  3. Click on the 3 dots to get the list of actions.
  4. Select "Open in 1Password"*

The result is 1Password opens, but is not positioned to the item. It isn't even in the search box.

Other examples:

• Frequently if I click the 1Password icon in a login field to unlock it before using it, it presents the 1Password app to unlock, but then doesn't present me with the login for the site. I have to click the 1Password icon again. This would work in 1Password 7.
  • In Chrome you can't click the 1Password icon in a login field to unlock -- you have to click it in the browser toolbar

* The irony is I don't actually want to open it in 1Password! What I want is to open the item with full ability to view all fields and edit them. That worked in 1Password 7, but in 1Password 8 Quick Access "open in new window" doesn't allow you to edit the item. It's like the 1Password 8 menu bar app is barely functional compared to 1Password mini in 1P 7.

1Password Version: 8.10.18
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.7
Browser: Safari, Firefox, Chrome

Comments

• TravelSD
    TravelSD
    Community Member
    Options

I see the same behavior for "open in 1password" from the browser plugin. It opens 1Password, but does usually NOT open to the exact item that had open in the browser.

• Hello @mschmitt and @TravelSD! 👋

I'm sorry that the wrong item is opening when you try to edit that item from the browser extension and Quick Access, our developers have investigated the issue and are testing a fix in the latest beta update to the 1Password app:

If testing goes well in the beta then the fix will make it into the production version soon.

@mschmitt I'll respond to your other points below:

Frequently if I click the 1Password icon in a login field to unlock it before using it, it presents the 1Password app to unlock, but then doesn't present me with the login for the site. I have to click the 1Password icon again. This would work in 1Password 7.

Does this happen consistently on the same web pages? Or is it completely random? If you can consistently reproduce the issue on the same website, then can you share the address of that website so that I can investigate further on my end? Don't share your username or password, just the website address.

In Chrome you can't click the 1Password icon in a login field to unlock -- you have to click it in the browser toolbar

Can you tell me what you see when you click on the 1Password icon in the username/password field? Are you unlocking 1Password using your account password or Touch ID? Does this happen all the time or can you unlock from the inline menu in the username/password field sometimes?

That worked in 1Password 7, but in 1Password 8 Quick Access "open in new window" doesn't allow you to edit the item.

Thank you for the feedback! While I can't make any promises, I've filed a feature request to have the team look into adding the ability to edit an item when it's open in a new window be added to 1Password 8.

-Dave

ref: PB-36860332
    ref: dev/core/core#24066

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member
    Options
    1. I'll test further when it happens again

2. When I click in the userid or password field, Chrome displays "Press the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar to unlock". I think that 1Password as a whole has to be locked for this to happen, not just locked in Chrome (which for some reason is independent of the menubar app). I just reproduced this using the 1Password community sign in page.

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member
    Options

Here's another one: when 1Password is locked, click on the menubar icon to open Quick Access. The expected action is it should present the 1Password window to unlock, and then open Quick Access. This works sometimes, but other times it doesn't show Quick Access. I can't figure out what drives when it works vs. doesn't.

Except that it seems to fail if it has been a long time since it was unlocked. For example, if I hit the problem, then lock it again, then re-test, the 2nd time will work.

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

And another one:

1Password is locked. Current foreground app is Microsoft Desktop. Right-click on icon in menu bar, select Open 1Password.

Expected result: 1Password appears, I enter the master password to unlock, and then 1Password is the foreground app. Because, I requested to Open 1Password.

Actual result: 1Password appears, I enter the master password to unlock, and then it brings Safari to the foreground. Why is it showing Safari? That has nothing to do with my requested action, at all.

The common theme here is unexpected behavior when unlocking 1Password 8.

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member
    Options

And another one:

1Password is not running at all (because, I had to force-quit it, because is locked up hard when I attempted to paste a password into an item.)

Launch the app, enter password to unlock.

Expected result is that 1Password stays as the foreground app. Actual result is upon hitting Enter, it brings a different app to the foreground.

If I launch 1Password and enter its password, it is because I intend to use it then. So why doesn't it stay in the foreground?

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

You asked about the case where I click on 1password icon in a password field to unlock, but it doesn't come back to present a login until I click it again.

Here's an example:
    1. I went to https://feedbackassistant.apple.com in Firefox
    2. 1Password was locked, I clicked the 1Password icon in the Password field (email was already filled in)
    3. 1Password appeared. Unlocked.
    4. It brought Safari to the foreground. But I clicked it in Firefox!

Is 1Password 8 assuming that the user will only have 1 browser open? I usually have three: Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

Note: 1Password 7 never had a problem with this.

• @mschmitt

Thank you for such a detailed reply. The behaviour that you're seeing definitely doesn't sound right and a few of the symptoms sound related to issues that we're already tracking. So that we can look into this further, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

Please send the entire file.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member
    Options

Support ID is [#ERV-65911-821].

I compressed the diagnostics file: it is 3.1 MB as created, 157 KB compressed (95%). I'm kind of surprised the 1pdiagnostics file format isn't already compressed, since it is expected that the file will be emailed.

• @mschmitt

Thank you for posting the Support ID, I've located your email and routed it to the correct team. You'll receive a reply via email as soon as possible. Please continue the conversation there.

I compressed the diagnostics file: it is 3.1 MB as created, 157 KB compressed (95%). I'm kind of surprised the 1pdiagnostics file format isn't already compressed, since it is expected that the file will be emailed.

Usually the diagnostics files are smaller and the size can indicate repeated log lines, I'll forward your feedback to the team.

Since we have a communications channel open via email, I'm closing this thread. 🙂

-Dave

ref: ERV-65911-821

This discussion has been closed.