Cannot login to 1Password for iOS when using SSO such as Duo

Options
mcksimpson
mcksimpson
Community Member
edited November 2023 in Business and Teams

I have a brand new iPhone 15 Pro Max. After going through iOS setup with a completely fresh install and logging into my iCloud account, I installed the 1Password 8 app (version 8.10.20). My organization uses Duo, so I have to use Duo to log in.

When I open 1Password 8, despite the fact that this is a completely new phone with no data transferred over from my old device, when I go to "Sign In", I am greeted with my old login credentials. I enter my 1Password password and am then prompted with a dialog that says:

"1Password" Wants to use "duosecurity.com" to Sign In
This allows the app and website to share information about you.

When I click "Continue," the safari browser briefly opens and then disappears and I am brought back to the default screen in the 1Password app. I am attaching screenshots to show the flow.

Here are things I have tried:

1. Deleting and reinstalling the 1Password 8 app.
  2. Erasing the iPhone entirely and setting it up again.
  3. Deleting all traces of 1Password from my iCloud keychain on my Mac using Keychain utility.
  4. Investigating in Duo's admin console whether there is a problem.

This is 100% absolutely a bug and is currently preventing me from using my new iPhone. I will have to ditch 1Password for my organization if this can't be solved, as I am the lead administrator for 2FA across the organization. This would be a great loss to 1Password, but the current level of support has been miserable on this critical issue.

1Password Version: 8.10.20
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17.0.3
Browser: 1Password 8 App

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello @mcksimpson! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into an issue when adding your account to 1Password for iOS. This is a known issue affecting certain customers who have MFA or SSO enabled on their account. Our engineers are actively investigating and updates will be posted to our status page:
    https://status.1password.com/

For the time being, as a temporary workaround, are you able to receive and approve Duo authorization prompts on any other device? If so, could you attempt signing into 1Password on your iOS device, and when the time comes to approve the sign-in via Duo, leave the 1Password app open, and approve the sign-in from that other device.

Let me know if that works.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26196

• mcksimpson
    mcksimpson
    Community Member
    Options

I can definitely receive and approve Duo authorizations on another device. The issue is that the 1Password app on my new device will never actually open the browser window for long enough to generate that Duo authorization request. So I cannot log in to 1Password at all in the app on my new device. This is pretty crippling and I'm going to have to move my entire organization to a new platform if this can't be resolved, as I am the CEO.

• @mcksimpson

We appreciate your patience as we worked through this issue. We have identified the cause and have prepared an update to resolve the issue. The update is currently submitted and we are expecting it to be available soon.

Once the update is available on your device, please ensure your 1Password app is updated to version 8.10.21: How to keep 1Password up to date

If you're still running into an issue after updating then please let me know.

-Dave

• mcksimpson
    mcksimpson
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Dave. I upgraded to the new version and the problem is fixed!

• Thank you for confirming, I'm happy that the update resolved the issue for you. 🙂

I'm sorry again for the inconvenience and interruption to your day.

-Dave