Please allow us to disable "Click OK to fill your 1Password item"

Options
runamonk
runamonk
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Pretty simple, this is annoying and unnecessary.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_mike_d
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello @runamonk,

Thanks for your message.

While I can't make any promises, I have added your feedback to the internal feature request that we have open for this. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

If you have any other suggestions, just let us know!

ref: PB 36642479

• Alamei
    Alamei
    Community Member
    Options

Can you ask someone on your development team give any explanation other than generic "security" for why they refuse to support the option for single-click form filling, even though it has been requested by many of your users over multiple years now? Every other password manager I've used for business or personal purposes either made single-click filling the default or allowed users to choose whether they wanted to have extra steps in the process, and I can't find a single example of another password manager anywhere that forces multi-stage entry with no alternative.

Looking through the forum threads on this topic that have been opened and closed over the past three years, it appears that the company-prescribed response is always to merely say that you have "added your feedback" to an internal system, but that comes across as condescending when it's clear the feedback is not being taken seriously. This issue would not be complex to implement from a coding perspective, so it's clear that the decision is policy-driven, not resource-driven. If you have no intention of considering feedback or suggestions on this matter, it would be better to at least be honest and up-front about why you disagree with your users about how to improve your software's usability.

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@Alamei

Thank you for the feedback. We appreciate everyone's suggestions and all of your comments are always passed along to the appropriate team internally. Not all features that are requested are added to 1Password but I can assure you that all requests are carefully considered.

Thanks to feedback from folks in the community, 1Password in the browser no longer prompts you to "Click OK to fill your 1Password item..." for Identity items as of version 2.7.0 released in February of this year:

A confirmation prompt is no longer displayed when filling emails, usernames, or addresses from an in-page suggestion.

You'll still see the message when filling certain items, such as credit cards, since this is a security measure that ensures that you're intentionally choosing to fill that information into the page and the page didn't do something malicious to get 1Password to fill information without your permission.

Are you still seeing the prompt when filling something like an address into a website? Or when filling a different type of item? If I misunderstood your feedback then please let me know.

-Dave

• Alamei
    Alamei
    Community Member
    Options

It is indeed the forced prompts on financials (credit card/bank account) filling that my criticism was targeted toward, as I assumed that's what the original poster of this topic opened in it regards to.

When your development team recognized that the extra click was disrupting users' workflow on other form-filling elements such as identity information, why did they not consider that it would equally be disruptive for filling financial information? If you want the financial information to retain the extra hoop to jump through by default, that could easily be accommodated for both users that prefer the extra step and users that are comfortable with direct entry by simply adding an option that users can toggle as to whether the extra prompt will be shown, defaulting said option to being enabled.

I would argue that sending an individual's full identity information (name, phone, date of birth, home address, etc.) online can be just as—or possibly more—dangerous than giving out financial information, making the choice to consider one type of information more privileged than another rather subjective and arbitrary. What harm does your developer team see in giving users the opportunity to choose for themselves how to assess and mitigate the risks associated with the filling of data?

• Hey @Alamei,

Thank you for getting back to us, I can see where you are coming from and I agree that it would be nice to give users the option if they want that extra confirmation before filling their card details.

I have passed all of your feedback on to the team for consideration, please let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

ref: PB37018665