GitLab with Passkey as MFA: Safari Extension not fast enough?

Options

With most services, the 1P extension for Safari recognizes that a site offers passkeys as first or second factor during login. Unfortunately, this is not the case with GitLab. I let 1P fill out the login name and password. The expected next step is the 1P extension showing the "Sign in with a passkey" notification. With GitLab, macOS's own passkey window pops up first and prompts me to use a camera phone or a hardware key. In this window, I have to press "cancel", then GitLab prompts me to "try again". Only after selecting this action, the expected 1P notification appears and lets me use the passkey stored in my vault.

Is this a timing issue? Can this be fixed?

1Password Version: 8.10.20
Extension Version: 2.17.1
OS Version: macOS 14.1.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hey @krumeich,

Can you right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings and then make sure 'Make 1Password the default password manager in this browser' is toggled on?

In addition can you give these steps a try:

1. Open Safari
    2. In the left hand corner next to the apple choose Safari > Settings
    3. Click on the passwords tab and under password options toggle off 'AutoFill passwords and passkeys'

Let us know how you get on and if this improves the behaviour at all.

• krumeich
    krumeich
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @steph.giles,

thanks for getting back to me on this issue. I checked the settings in the 1P extension and Safari itself. Both settings were already set to the values that you recommended. So, there's no improvement in the behaviour. Is there anything else I should check?

• Thank you for confirming that @krumeich, do you see the same behaviour on other sites where you can sign in with a passkey or is it specific to GitLab?

• krumeich
    krumeich
    Community Member
    Options

This is specific to GitLab. I can reproduce this behaviour both on gitlab.com and our own on-premises installation.

• Hey @krumeich,

Thank you for getting back to me, I have been able to reproduce the behaviour and it seems to be specific to Safari.

I have filed an issue with our development team to see if we can improve this in a future update.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

ref: dev/core/core#26314

• krumeich
    krumeich
    Community Member
    Options

Good morning @steph.giles

That is good news. Thanks for filing the issue. Looking forward to seeing a solution for this in upcoming release notes.

• You're welcome @krumeich, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Have a great weekend!