Safari Pops Up when 1P used in Chrome

Options
CoachDavid
CoachDavid
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

When I use 1Password in Chrome, and sign-in (using my fingerprint next to TouchBar) Safari always pops up from its hidden or minimized state. It doesn't take focus (thankfully), and usually the two apps (Chrome and Safari) are on different monitors) but it is irritating. Safari is my default browser but I have to use Chrome for certain applications.
MacBook Pro 16" 2019 (has Touchbar), Sonoma 14.1, 1Password for Mac 8.10.18
(81018040).
Any thoughts on why this is happening (since Sonoma, I think)? Is there something I can do to change it?

1Password Version: 8.10.18 (81018040)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Sonoma 14.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @CoachDavid,

I'm sorry that you're running into a known issue we're investigating. I shared your feedback to the list and I apologize for the inconvenience and confusion it caused.

Meanwhile, to stop the misbehaivor, we can turn off the integration feature with 1Password for Safari web extension. However, the disadvantage here is that we cannot use any biometric method to unlock 1Password for Safari. We can test it on your daily usage, and see how it goes compared to the experience with the integration feature turned on.

Here are the steps:

1. Open your browser and right-click(ctrl + click) on the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. In the General section, turn the Integrate with 1Password app to OFF, as shown below:

Let me know if the above helps.

ref: dev/core/core#22735

• CoachDavid
    CoachDavid
    Community Member
    Options

@kevin.li - thanks! I made the change, and will watch it over the next few days and come back with results.

• CoachDavid
    CoachDavid
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it didn't take long to test. Logging into an account through Brave, Safari popped up, and took focus, even with that change - so, that didn't help. One variable down… ( @kevin.li )

• @CoachDavid

Thanks for getting back to me.

May I confirm if you have multiple profiles in Safari? If so, can you also disable the integration settings of 1Password for Safari there?

Let me know if that works.

• CoachDavid
    CoachDavid
    Community Member
    Options

@kevin.li
    Thanks for sticking through this!
    I do NOT have multiple profiles in Safari.
    I could try disabling or uninstalling the extension altogether. The extension reports as 1Password in the browser 2.16.0 21600003, on STABLE channel.

• @CoachDavid,

Interesting! Let's disable 1Password for Safari under the Extensions tab to test:

Let me know how it goes.

• CoachDavid
    CoachDavid
    Community Member
    Options

@kevin.li - did that; locked 1P so it would force me to use the finger print, and then logged in somewhere else on Brave. Safari did NOT come up this time. (I actually thought it would, that 1P was somehow calling it, but it didn't, which then points to Safari/Extension seeing the activity elsewhere and popping up?)

• CoachDavid
    CoachDavid
    Community Member
    Options

So I removed the extension, even deleting it from the Applications folder. Shut down 1P and Safari; redownloaded the extension and installed it. Set it up to "Integrate with 1P" - and the same behavior happened. Then, from 1P, I went to Help | Troubleshooting | Fix Missing Safari Extension - and did that. Nothing noticeable happened, but, Safari stayed minimized next time I unlocked 1P from Brave. So, I hope it's fixed!

• CoachDavid
    CoachDavid
    Community Member
    Options

And… it just happened again :(. Curious. Open to any thoughts!

• Hey @CoachDavid,

The "Fix Missing Safari Extension" option is for another issue, which is unrelated to the focus issue.

You mentioned that you have enabled the "Integrate with 1Password" option after reinstalling 1Password for Safari web extension, which is the reason the issue resurfaces.

We confirmed that if we disable 1Password in Safari, the issue would go away. Meanwhile, the "Integrate this extension with the 1Password desktop app" option should achieve the same purpose of avoiding the focus-stealing issue from Safari.

Can you change that setting again in 1Password for Safari to double-test:

• CoachDavid
    CoachDavid
    Community Member
    Options

@kevin.li - Just made that change.
    At least initially (I locked 1P, minimized Safari, then went to Chrome and logged into a site using 1P) Safari did not jump out of minimized state as it had.

• CoachDavid
    CoachDavid
    Community Member
    Options

After a reboot, the same behavior, even if the Integrate with 1P Desktop is off.

• Hey @CoachDavid,

I'm just checking in to see if you are still facing issues with 1Password in Safari?

If yes, I think it would be useful if we could take a closer look at some logs and what may be going wrong.

I'd like to ask you to send over a console log from your browser as well as a diagnostics report:

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!