Safari Extension Inconsistency: Icon Behavior and Unlocking Issues

Options
homicki
homicki
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm experiencing some inconsistent behavior with the 1Password Safari extension. Specifically, when the extension is locked, clicking on the 1Password icon in the username field (e.g., at 1password.community) often has no effect. Additionally, the icon sometimes doesn't appear at all. I've noticed that clicking in the password field can sometimes make the icon appear or function properly.

Most of the time, I have to manually unlock 1Password via the browser toolbar for the extension to work as expected. This issue started occurring in the past few weeks, even before I upgraded to Sonoma. Updating to Sonoma and running the latest versions of 1Password and the extension haven't resolved the issue.

I've seen similar issues reported in closed threads on this forum. Could you please assist me in resolving this?

1Password Version: 8.10.18 (81018040)
Extension Version: 2.16.0
OS Version: 14.1 (23B74)
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hey @homicki,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with 1Password for Safari. I'd like to start by testing to see if the integration between 1Password in your browser and your 1Password app is working as expected.

Can you follow these steps:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and let us know if 1Password is also unlocked here?

Let us know how you get on!

• homicki
    homicki
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, in the case of a clean restart it all works. The issue is after 1Password auto-locks, in Safari, the 1Password icon in a username field often will not bring up the unlock dialog, or even if it does, I need to use the icon on the browser toolbar to autofill. This happens at least once a day with Safari.

• homicki
    homicki
    Community Member
    Options

I see there was a new update to the Safari extension. The best I can say is that this made things "less terrible."

Safari still often thinks 1Password is locked when it was unlocked. The icon in the username field does not respond. When I click on the icon in the browser frame it slowly realizes 1Password is unlocked, and lets me autofill from there. But everything is still slow, extra clicks, and takes longer. 1Password 8 continues to be a downgrade from 1Password 7 in most ways.

• kzolnowski
    kzolnowski
    Community Member
    Options

Safari extension using integration with desktop app runs terribly slow. When I turned off the integration, the Safari extension started working quite fast.

• jaknudsen
    jaknudsen
    Community Member
    Options

Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    Open and unlock 1Password.
    Open your browser and let us know if 1Password is also unlocked here?

Following these steps, I get an endless "Loading ..." message when clicking the 1Password icon in the Safari menu bar.

• homicki
    homicki
    Community Member
    Options

Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    Open and unlock 1Password.
    Open your browser and let us know if 1Password is also unlocked here?

Yes, when I follow those instructionst 1Password is unlocked in Safari-though sometimes it takes multiple seconds for the icon in the Safari titlebar to respond (I'm using an M1 MBP and everything else I use is very fast).

After 1Password locks due to inactivity, the slowness and inability to unlock directly from form fields as described in my previous comments starts to happen again.

The latest new issue is that when I click the 1Password icon in the Safari titlebar, it sits there with a "Synching..." message for a long time.:

The issues do not usually happen right after following the steps above, but always do within a few hours or at most a day of use.

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@homicki and @jaknudsen

I'm sorry that you're continuing to see issues with 1Password in Safari. As a start, make sure that you're running the latest versions of macOS, 1Password for Safari, and 1Password for Mac:

If the issue occurs after updating, then I'd like to ask for some logs in order to investigate further:

Attach both files to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave