Printing records from only one vault

Options
greenday
greenday
Community Member
edited August 2023 in Mac

I have Family plan, with individual vaults for each member. One family member wants to print all or a portion of the records in her vault to paper so that she can have a copy in her safe deposit box. While I understand that this isn't recommended, this is her wish.

I'm running the current 1P version on my Mac. I don't see any way to print. I see an option to export, but the export is for the entire family, not from only that one vault.

Am I missing something?

1Password Version: 8.10.13
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac 13.4.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @greenday! 👋

Thanks for the question! As you mentioned, printing isn't recommended for a few different reasons:

1. By exporting and printing passwords you take those passwords outside of the security of 1Password and leave them exposed in plain text.
    2. If you change any of your passwords in the future the exported or printed copy will become outdated running the risk of leaving you, or your loved ones, with a copy of incorrect passwords.

Have you suggested to your family member that they download and print their Emergency Kit instead? They can print out the Emergency Kit and write down their account password on the kit. Then they can store the Emergency Kit in the safe deposit box. Using the Emergency Kit a family member or lawyer will be able to access their 1Password account.

If your family member would like to go ahead print out the contents of just one vault then the process will involve a few steps, and a workaround, since 1Password exports currently include all items.

1. Help your family member use Travel Mode to remove all but the vault that they would like to export from their apps: Use Travel Mode to remove vaults from your devices when you travel
    2. Use the 1Password desktop app to export a CSV copy of items from your family member's account: How to export your data from the 1Password desktop app
    3. Make sure that the CSV file only include items that your friend wishes to print. Then print the CSV file. Delete the CSV file from the computer when done.
    4. Store the printed copy somewhere safe.
    5. Turn Travel Mode off so that your friend has access to all vaults on their devices again.

This process isn't very elegant nor is exporting/printing recommended. But I hope that this helps. 🙂

-Dave

• greenday
    greenday
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply and the instructions. Unfortunately, that workaround will be too complicated for her--she's older and not technical.

And I didn't have a good answer for her when she asked how storing her Emergency Kit in the safe deposit box was somehow safer than storing her passwords there in plain text (clearly it's not safer). I wish 1Password would give people more flexibility in managing their own data. She wants me to look at other password managers for her now. Sigh.

Separately, I know the older crowd is probably not the key demographic for 1P--but I think they need easy to use password managers probably more even than younger people--higher assets, less tech expertise. All of my older family members have told me "1Password is just too complicated" and they want to use paper instead.

I remain a 1P fan (mostly), just my thoughts.

• @greenday

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me a little more about why your relative is trying to print and store a portion of her passwords in her safe deposit box? Once I better understand her need to do this I can advise further.

And I didn't have a good answer for her when she asked how storing her Emergency Kit in the safe deposit box was somehow safer than storing her passwords there in plain text (clearly it's not safer).

It's safer to store, in a safe and secure location, the Emergency Kit rather than a copy of your passwords themselves for a few reasons:

1. If needed, you can always invalidate the Emergency Kit by generating a new Secret Key or choosing a new account password. There's no way to invalidate a page of passwords other than changing each password individually.
    2. Anyone with access to the safe, or anyone who breaks into that safe, can use a printed page of passwords without you knowing about it. How would you know if someone secretly accessed your safe and took a picture of your list of passwords? But if someone accesses your 1Password account using the Emergency Kit you'll receive an immediate email notification letting you know about the sign in and letting you deauthorize the device accessing your account.
    3. On every update to any of your passwords a new print out has to be generated. This can result in multiple copies that can be hard to keep track of, update, and destroy correctly.

In addition to that, the Emergency Kit grants access to the latest and correct copy of your passwords. A printed page of passwords may be out of date if you've forgotten or made a mistake in updating the print out. Part of security is making sure that you can always access the information and services that are most important in your life.

-Dave

• bree
    bree
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Dave, I realize the drawbacks of paper copies of 1password info. However, I am older and want to leave a paper copy of my bank accounts (+ similar type accounts) numbers & passwords for my executor. These will be stored in a safe. And, I don't want my executors to have to weed through the literally hundreds of logins & notes that I have stored in 1password for the past 15 or so years! ;>) So, that means the Emergency kit option is not suited for my needs in this specific situation. Full access to my 1password account is much more info that they will need. I merely want to print out a selection of logins for them to reference (to handle my estate) when I die. Any advice how I might do this?

• @bree

Thank you for the reply. I agree that the Emergency Kit doesn't quite fit your situation. I've filed your feedback with the team internally and, while I can't promise anything, the team will look into creating a better solution for your particular use case.

For the time being, if you just need to print a few items, you can use 1Password.com to print individual items:

1. Log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app).
    2. Click All Vaults.
    3. Click an item that you'd like to print.
    4. In your browser, click File > Print.

Repeat the steps for any additional items that you'd like to print out and store in your personal safe. Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave

• bree
    bree
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for passing this along to the team!

• @bree

Thank you again for the feedback. 🙂

-Dave