Help link not opening in default browser

cjmusante
cjmusante
Community Member
edited March 2013 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I have my Windows 7 workstation setup so that Firefox is the default browser for just about every type of Internet content. As near as I can tell, any time I click on a URL from within a PDF, from a MS Word document, MS Excel document, or from any webpage, the new page is opened in Firefox. When I select Help->OnlineSupportForum from the menu on the 1Password desktop application, it ignores all of these settings and opens in IE.
Can you explain this behavior? Can you fix this behavior?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

This is strange. I cannot reproduce the issue. Can you click the "Make Firefox the default browser" button in Firefox's options on the Advanced tab to be sure it is set as the default? I just tried it and the link opened in Firefox straightaway.

Perhaps even set another browser as your default, see if the link opens in the other browser, and then set it back to Firefox to see if that helps give it a kick in the pants. :)

Let me know how it goes.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

What is this option set to?

File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Double-click

If set to "open in web browser", then you can pick whatever web browser 1Password should open.

• cjmusante
    cjmusante
    Community Member

OK, I've gone into Firefox, and confirmed that it was set as my default browser, but 1 password forum still opens in IE.
    I've then opened IE, and set it so that it is the default browser, and 1password opens in IE.
    I've then opened Firefox, and set it so that it is the default browser, and 1password opens in IE.
    This peculiar behavior is isolated to the 1Password app. All other instances of "open browser" reqeusts, always use Firefox.
    Even if I use other applications, like Microsoft Applications, all of the menu items which need to open a browser, do so with Firefox.
    I've also confirmed that the correct browser opens from Adobe Acrobat Pro, paint.net, mysqlworkbench, soluto, dropbox, etc, etc.
    1Password seems to be an isolated case.
    Any thoughts?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2013

Perhaps I missed your answer to Stefan's question. Can you tell me what your "Double-click" option is set to in Preferences > General?

If it is set to "Open the Location in web browser", the browser you choose there will be used.

• cjmusante
    cjmusante
    Community Member

Ok, I've changed the double-click option, and set it as you note, and now, onepassword opens the forum in Firefox, instead of IE. But frankly, to say that this is convoluted is a bit of an understatement.
    Anyway, it is now working correctly.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2013

If the double-click option is set to the default option of editing the item, then the default browser for the system is used.

If you have selected a different browser in which to open Login items, then 1Password will respect that explicitly stated user choice across the entire application (including the Help menu).

I'm sorry if there was any confusion, but I'm glad things are working as expected. :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

This discussion has been closed.