Updates on macOS without Admin Access

Options
trogdor32
trogdor32
Community Member

On my work computer admin access is discouraged, but allowed with some extra steps. Whenever 1Password auto updates, I have to go through several steps to allow my user admin access so I can complete the update. I often delay updating because of the hassle.

For most apps, I am able to store the app in ~/Applications instead of /Applications to avoid needing admin access. I've already checked that everything under /Applications/1Password.app is owned by my user/group, but the updater still wants admin access.

Is there anything I can do to avoid needing admin access for updates?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.20 (81020036)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.7
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @trogdor32! 👋

Thank you for the question. macOS requires admin credentials in order to write to the /Applications folder, where 1Password for Mac is installed.

On the Mac, 1Password must be installed in /Applications. If 1Password was to be installed in another location some of the integration and security features we rely upon, specifically our use of sandboxing and verifying code signatures, won't work.

If your workplace uses a deployment tool like Intune or Kandji then your IT team can use a special installation package to install 1Password and manage updates for you so that you're not prompted for an admin password yourself. You can send your IT team the following article: Deploy 1Password for Mac and Windows

If your IT team would like to discuss this further then please have them send an email to support@1password.com and our team would be happy to help them deploy 1Password on your organization's work devices.

-Dave