macOS: Auto-lock set to never, still prompts for password every day

Options
pirijan
pirijan
Community Member

Hi,

I have a desktop mac and I'm the only user of it. I'm fine with being prompted for my password if the computer is turned off. But in normal use, I don't want to have to keep entering my password.

In settings, I have auto-lock set to 'never' and I've unchecked the other checkboxes. But every morning, I see that 1password is locked and I have to put in the password. Which seems to directly contradict the settings. (picture attached)

Is this a bug?

1Password Version: 8.10.20
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.6.1
Browser: Orion

Comments

• Hello @pirijan! 👋

I'm sorry that you're being prompted for your account password more often than expected. Can you tell me if you have the following setting turned on:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Settings.
    4. Click General.
    5. Make sure that "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" is turned on.

If that's already turned on and you're still seeing the issue then can you tell me if you're seeing the problem when unlocking the desktop app? Or the 1Password in the browser? Or both?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• pirijan
    pirijan
    Community Member
    Options

I had it checked off because I never use the menu bar app. Just checked it on. Hopefully that fixes the issue, thanks!

• @pirijan

Thanks for the reply. If that option is turned off then 1Password isn't able to run in the background when the main window is closed and the app require unlocking the next time that you open 1Password. Keeping the option on allows 1Password to stay running and unlocked in the background even when you close the main window.

If you do see the issue again even with "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" turned on then please let me know. 🙂

-Dave