1Password can't detect QR Code for Earthlink 2FA

Options

I have set up 1Password to act as 2FA authenticator for several sites, but Earthlink does not appear in the 2FA Directory, and 1Password can't detect a QR Code. Is that because for some reason Earthlink has just not enabled it? (Otherwise Earthlink sends 2FA codes via SMS fine.)

Thank you,

David

1Password Version: 8.10.20
Extension Version: 2.17.1
OS Version: macOS Ventura 13.6.1
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @DavidB! 👋

I'm sorry that you're having trouble using 1Password as the authenticator app for Earthlink. Just to confirm, are you able to pull up a QR code for two-factor authentication on the Earthlink website itself?

If the answer is yes then are you trying to scan the QR code using the desktop app or 1Password in the browser? If you were using the desktop app then please try 1Password in the browser instead:

Let me know if you've already tried this or if it doesn't work.

-Dave

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply -- I appreciate your help.

Yes, first I go to Earthlink > My Account > Account Security > Multi-Factor Authentication [Enabled] > Authenticate With App > "Use an authenticator application of your choice to scan the QR code below," then I open the 1Password browser extension > More options > Scan QR code, and this message pops up: "No QR code found for 2FA. Learn more."

If I click "Learn more," this page is displayed:
    https://support.1password.com/one-time-passwords/

David

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@DavidB

Thank you for the reply. I don't have an Earthlink account so I can't test this myself. Do you have an iPhone or Android phone? If you do then can you try scanning the QR code using your phone's camera and 1Password on the phone? Here's a guide:

If that doesn't work then does Earthlink show a string of characters that you can enter into 1Password instead? If it does then you can edit your Login item and paste that string of characters into the one-time password field:

1. Open and unlock the 1Password for Mac desktop app.
    2. Select the Login item for Earthlink, then click Edit.
    3. Click Add More, then choose One-Time Password.
    4. Paste the string of characters into the field.
    5. Save the item.

-Dave

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the tips.

I tried following the instructions for using my iPhone's camera, but after aiming my camera at the QR code, a screen came up that said, "Choose a password to add this verification code" and "AutoFill Password." There were only two login items to choose from, neither of them Earthlink, and entering Earthlink in the the Search window didn't produce anything.

Copying and pasting the string of characters into the 1Password desktop application did work though. Without your suggestion to add a One-Time Password to the login item and paste the string there I wouldn't have thought to do that.

Thanks again,

David

• @DavidB

I'm happy that adding the string of characters to your Login item for Earthlink worked. I've reported the issue with scanning the QR code to our developers so that they can investigate further, I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#26395