Feedback regarding auto-lock, shortcuts, and search in 1Password 8

Options
ckellsworth
ckellsworth
Community Member
edited November 2023 in Mac

1) the App does not stay open, for whatever reasons as it interacts with the Browser plugins the "desktop" app closes down.. or maybe other logic kills it idk...... its really annoying. i use this app for soo much more than just logins having the window close is frustrating and slows my work down.

2) Hot keys/keyboard shortcuts working within browser to switch between vaults, I have many vaults, each vault might have the same website but different credentials based on what i am doing, not being able to switch between vaults without having to touch my mouse is welll... slow....

3) the Hot keys only switching between account and not Valts like before ug!!!!! ... a great improvement over 7 would be to allow us to assign within the app what hot keys aka cmd+1 goes to the vault i specify.

4) the seaching like UG!!!!! really enter no longer "searches" but opens the item . I have never seen any other program expect you to use a key modifer when pressing enter to actually return a search result..... can i change this??????

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello @ckellsworth! 👋

Thank you for taking the time to write in with your feedback. It really helps the team focus on the areas that still need improvement and polish and we appreciate your reports. I'll respond below:

1) the App does not stay open, for whatever reasons as it interacts with the Browser plugins the "desktop" app closes down.. or maybe other logic kills it idk...... its really annoying. i use this app for soo much more than just logins having the window close is frustrating and slows my work down.

Can you tell me a little more about the issue? Are you able to identify a specific action that closes the desktop app's window? Does it happen when you unlock 1Password from the browser extension? If it does then are you unlocking 1Password using your account password, Touch ID, or your Apple Watch?

2) Hot keys/keyboard shortcuts working within browser to switch between vaults, I have many vaults, each vault might have the same website but different credentials based on what i am doing, not being able to switch between vaults without having to touch my mouse is welll... slow....
    3) the Hot keys only switching between account and not Valts like before ug!!!!! ... a great improvement over 7 would be to allow us to assign within the app what hot keys aka cmd+1 goes to the vault i specify.

It sounds like collections will help with number 3. Collections allow you to specify which vaults and items you see and search so that you can exclude the vaults you don't need during your regular day. You can read more about Collections here: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

Once you've created collections you can switch between them using Command‑2 to Command‑9 on your keyboard for the desktop app and Quick Access.

Collections are not yet available in the browser extension but you can use Quick Access and Universal Autofill to switch to a certain collection and then fill your login into any app from Quick Access itself.

4) the seaching like UG!!!!! really enter no longer "searches" but opens the item . I have never seen any other program expect you to use a key modifer when pressing enter to actually return a search result..... can i change this??????

1Password 8's search dropdown surfaces the most relevant item as quickly as possible rather than just presenting a list of all items that might possibly match the search term in some way and then requiring someone to go through the list to find the right item. That being said, I've passed along your feedback to the team. They're actively working on improving search for the future.

For the time being, once you've typed in your search term, press Command-Enter to show all matching items. You can also click on "Show all matching items" at the bottom of the dropdown.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#17554
    ref: PB-36509347

edit: Corrected a broken link.

• ckellsworth
    ckellsworth
    Community Member
    Options

1)
    will try and figure it out.... so far the best i can tell.... 1password locked... 1passwrod desktop app open... within the browser i go open it, it asks to unlock... it links in the desktop app then after successful unlocking it closes the desktop app.

2/3)
    know about collecctions but as you said they don't work in the browser plugins and collections #s start after the # of Accounts you access have access to. aka the more accounts less ability to have workable collections "#s"

4) know about command+ enter but thats the problem its a 2nd key to be held down to present a search result of relevant entries that i can browse through. Rare if ever have i seen a program setup that way, Typically from what i can recall yes something would give me a list i could arrow through then select it.... but your app assumes when i type say 123 and press enter i want the First result that has 123 in it not a browsable list of anything containing 123.

New Issue:
    Cmd+Shift+X a command used by Google Drive to do strike out text is now taken over by your browser plugin in safari.... how to disable that?

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@ckellsworth

Thanks for the reply, I'll respond below:

1) will try and figure it out.... so far the best i can tell.... 1password locked... 1passwrod desktop app open... within the browser i go open it, it asks to unlock... it links in the desktop app then after successful unlocking it closes the desktop app.

The next time that this happens, I'd like to request a console log and diagnostics report so that we can investigate further:

Attach both files to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread:
    • Your forum username:
    • Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here.

New Issue:
    Cmd+Shift+X a command used by Google Drive to do strike out text is now taken over by your browser plugin in safari.... how to disable that?

I'm sorry for the shortcut issue that you're running into. 1Password for Safari doesn't include a way to change keyboard shortcuts but we do have an open issue raised with the development team regarding this. We're working with our partners at Apple to find a solution.

For other browsers, you can change the extension's keyboard shortcuts. For example in Chrome you can change keyboard shortcuts here: chrome://extensions/shortcuts

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#8796

• ckellsworth
    ckellsworth
    Community Member
    Options

[#ZJY-72732-292]

sadly the browser where i use google doc is as you can probably guess. yep is safari.

• ckellsworth
    ckellsworth
    Community Member
    Options

to keep this thread updated support replied ...

Thank you for contacting 1Password Support. My name is____, and I'd be glad to help you today.

I appreciate you sending over the video recording and all the reports. The behavior shown in your video recording is expected. Your 1Password in the browser is correctly connected to the desktop app. Thus, when you try to unlock 1Password via the prompt in the browser, the integration feature will bring up the desktop app window for unlocking. More importantly, it is the designed flow for the desktop app window to be dismissed once we finish the unlock process.

I understand that you want to have the desktop app stay open after unlocking. So, I'd recommend the following workarounds to achieve that:

Instead of using the 1Password extension interface to trigger the unlock process, let's click the 1Password icon in the top menu bar to initiate the unlock process:

You can set a shortcut to bring up the 1Password desktop app window and use it to achieve what you are looking for:

Let me know if the above helps.

& my reply

In version 7 this did not happen. I also dislike having stuff on my top menu bar I already despise evernote for not letting me turn that stupid thing off, I would not use Evernote if my work did not require it. I typically turn off any option to have those on so this suggestion is not endearing to me.

Your design flow is flawed and need to be fixed. It should instead Check the status of the Desktop app and make sure when the unlock request from a browser is processed its left in that same state. AKA if the desktop app is open… then when done unlocking the desktop is left open and running. NOT shutting it down.

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2023
    Options

@ckellsworth

Thank you for posting the support ID and the update. One of my colleagues will send you another reply via email as soon as possible. Please continue the discussion there.

To avoid having the same conversation in two places at once, I'm closing this thread.

-Dave

ref: ZJY-72732-292

This discussion has been closed.