Slow unlock in Safari when not using Personal profile

Options

Unlocking from within the Safari, using touch id, is almost immediate when using the default Personal profile. I have one other profile that I now use regularly. Unlocking in that profile takes exactly 10 seconds from the point at which I use touch id until the extension icon shows unlocked.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: Ventura 13.6
Browser: Safari 17.0

Comments

• Hi @burnwa,

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password is not working as expected with the new Profile feature in Safari.

If possible, can you reproduce the misbehavior, and then, you can create a console log from your Safari browser first and then, a diagnostics report from the 1Password desktop app:

Here's the guide for the console log:

• Save a console log for 1Password in your browser (The instruction is for Safari 16, but the general steps should apply to Safari 17, let us know if you need assistance to grab it in Safari 17)
    • Please ensure the "Show timestamps" option is enabled.

And here's the guide for the diagnostics report:

Then, email us with the diagnostics at:

support+forum@1Password.com

With your email, let's include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

-- Kevin

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Kevin.

Since your post I've run the test a couple of times, each with and without the console displayed. When the console is displayed, the delay does not happen.

Will it still be useful to get a copy of the console log?

The exact steps I'm following:

1 - Exit Safari
    2 - Exit 1Password completely
    3 - Start 1Password, cancel the prompt to login, exit the main application, leave the menubar application running
    4 - Start Safari, opening a single window initially set to the problematic profile
    5 - Open the console or don't open the console
    6 - Click on the extension button and use touch id to unlock
    7 - If I didn't open the console there is a ten second delay for the unlock to happen. If I did open the console, there's a subsecond delay for the unlock to happen.

Let me know if you still want the log.

• Hey @burnwa,

I am trying to replicate the issue with the steps you provided.

I have a question regarding step 4. Do you mean to open an existing but non-default profile? Or, do you mean to create a new profile?

I can confirm that there might be some delay issue if we create a new profile. Because, when we create and open the new profile in Safari for the first time, 1Password is not fully loaded there.

Let me know if that is not the case for you.

Meanwhile, I do notice certain delays while switching profiles, which is expected. I am also wondering if the 10-second delay would be reduced if you click the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar area. Clicking the icon should manually connect 1Password for Safari to the desktop app, which might shorten the time for auto-connect.

Let me know how it goes.

-- Kevin

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Kevin. I should have been more precise.

Before I begin any experimentation, I already have two profiles: "Personal" and "Trusted". To trigger the delay, I exit Safari with a single window open set to "Trusted". When I start Safari as part of the test, it opens with a single window set to "Trusted". I do not manually open a window or switch profiles.

For the "Personal" profile test, which produces no delay, before the test I exit Safari with a single window open set to "Personal". When I start Safari as part of the test, it opens with a single window set to "Personal". I do not manually open a window or switch profiles.

When I wrote "Click on the extension button and use touch id to unlock", I was referring to the button in Safari's toolbar area.

The "Trusted" profile has 5 shared tab groups. When I am running the test, I do not switch to a shared tab. The window opens in a blank, unshared tab with no content displayed. That is the what is displayed when I click on the toolbar button.

I introduced this profile right after the feature was introduced in Safari. I've never run a beta version. The delay was noticed right from the start, right after I created that profile. It's persisted ever since.

I will do more experimentation this evening. I will create a brand new profile and see if the problem exists in that profile.

In case there's any ambiguity in my description, I'd be happy to provide a screen recording of the entire flow.

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member
    Options

I've tested with a brand new profile. The problem persists. This is on my M2 MacBook Pro running the Ventura.

I also tested on my 2018 MacBook Pro running Sonoma. The problem is there as well.

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member
    Options

I tried repeatedly to get the delay to happen while capturing in the console. I finally managed it and submitted the bug report as requested.

[#QDH-35561-584]

It's funny how it's hard to get the delay when the console is running. Sometimes I don't get the delay even without the console running, but usually I do.

I did have the Safari logging set to show timestamps. However, the exported log didn't include those timestamps. I took a screenshot of the console, which showed the timestamps, to make up for lack and included it in the bug report.

The screenshot clearly shows a 10 second timeout when requesting to unlock the accounts from the app.

[Error] Failed to request accounts in requestAndUnlockAccountsFromApp: – {type: "Timeout", content: "Timeout waiting for response to "}
    (anonymous function) (background.js:2:2557472)

• Hey @burnwa,

Thank you for the level of detail you have provided.

I have located your support ticket, one of my colleagues will be in touch soon.

ref: QDH-35561-584

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member
    Options

This bug is still killing me. It's actually gotten worse in that sometimes, even when 1Password is unlocked and the main application showing, the Safari extension stays locked. I've finally just given up working with Safari profiles; I'm now just using the Personal profile to keep 1Password working.

This bug is consistent on two different machines: a 2018 Intel running Sonoma and a 2023 M2 running Ventura. It's clearly a problem with the extension's communication with the application when running in a profile other than Personal.

One-on-one support on the issue was, as usual, excellent. However, no solution was provided. We kind of just gave up and logged the issue.

I'm interested now in two things...

Has my manifestation of the issue been reported by anyone else? Has it been duplicated by the engineers? Does it have a time frame for when I can expect a resolution?

Is there any chance the details of my configuration can be investigated further to get to the bottom of this? The problem happens in shared tabs of profiles. So both of my machines are seeing the same pages. Also, I keep 1Password configured the same way on both machines. Finally, both machines have the same Safari extensions and software running. If no one else has reported this issue, then there's something about my setup that is causing this.

• @burnwa

Thank you for following up. I do see that my colleague opened an internal work item with our development team and they are actively investigating. We've been able to reproduce the issue on our end as well so I don't expect that we need anymore information from your devices for the time being.

I don't have any updates to share at the moment, keep 1Password updated so that you get the fix as soon as it is released: How to keep 1Password up to date

I'm sorry again for the inconvenience. As a workaround, you could use a different browser since the issue is specific to 1Password on Safari.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#24437

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave. Knowing that you reproduced it moves me 90% towards happiness.

• Thank you again for reporting the issue and for your patience while the team works on a resolution. 🙂

-Dave

• burnwa
    burnwa
    Community Member
    Options

No need to respond to this comment, but I just thought to add something positive in case anyone is interested.

Since disabling profiles in Safari, I've not had the issue. I unlock Safari a few times a day and I've been working with it for the last 12 days.

I don't really miss profiles.

• @burnwa

Thank you for the note, that is helpful. I've forwarded your comment to our development team. 🙂

-Dave