Need help with uninstalling 1Password

Options
billslavin
billslavin
Community Member
edited November 2023 in Mac

1Password just won't go away. I've tried all the suggestions and it's still here. I cancelled subscription months ago and it showed up again today--guarding my Applications folder, so I can't get in. I've tried deleting in Activity Monitor, dragging it to the trash, following directions from your tech support, using the uninstall feature (I think) and nothing works. I'm on MacBook Pro M1, Sonoma 14.1.1. It seemed to have faded to the background until just today and I'm so fed up with it. I've been trying to get rid of it for months!!!!!! Please can anybody advise me? Bill Slavin

1Password Version: 1Password 7
Extension Version: 7.9.11
OS Version: Sonoma 14.1.1
Browser: Safari 17.1

Comments

• Hello @billslavin! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble when uninstalling 1Password 7 on your Mac. You can remove the 1Password for Mac app by following these steps:

1. Quit all open web browsers.
    2. Open 1Password for Mac. You don't need to unlock the app.
    3. Right click on the 1Password icon in your macOS menubar and click Quit 1Password Completely.
    4. Open the Applications folder on your Mac.
    5. Drag "1Password 7" to the trash.
    6. Restart your Mac.

If you've also installed 1Password in the browser then this guide will help you remove that as well: How to remove 1Password from your browser

If you still see 1Password on your Mac after following these steps then I'd like to ask you to take a screenshot of what you're seeing and attach it to your reply:

-Dave

• billslavin
    billslavin
    Community Member
    Options

I've tried your approach several times; (1) uninstall completely + dragging to trash & restarting doesn't work...it's still sitting there: Removing from Safari has message "cant' remove because it's running"
    I once followed your instructions to try to kill in Activity monitor but it kept jumping back! I note also how it sits on top of the Applications folder now. Please advise

• @billslavin

Thanks for the reply. Both 1Password and all of your browsers, including Safari, need to be closed before you drag 1Password 7 to the Trash. Your screenshot shows that both are still open:

Open this post on another device or print it out so that you have access to the steps while Safari is closed. Please make sure to close both Safari and 1Password by following these steps:

1. Open Safari.
    2. Click Safari next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Quit Safari.
    4. If you have any other browsers open then fully close those as well.
    5. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the menu bar and click Quit 1Password Completely.

Then follow these steps but do not reopen Safari, any other browser, or 1Password until you've completed all of the steps:

1. Open the Applications folder on your Mac.
    2. Drag "1Password 7" to the trash.
    3. Restart your Mac.

When these steps are done then you can reopen Safari. Let me know if that works. 🙂

-Dave