Universal autofill with iTerm

Options
snowy
snowy
Community Member

https://support.1password.com/mac-universal-autofill/

The autofill for iTerm I have never been able to get to work. I have tried with since 1Password v8 came out with no luck. I have tried what is listed to do on the above link.

The webpage shows when you save your Mac login autofilling into iTerm. I have confirmed automation is enabled for 1Password of iTerm. I have also toggled it off and back on.

nothing seems to get it to work. 🤷‍♂️

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.20 (81020036)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.6.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @snowy!

I'm sorry that Universal Autofill isn't working with iTerm 2 on your Mac. So that I can better understand the situation can you please tell me the following:

1. Have you created a Mac login item using the instructions on the webpage that you linked to in your initial post?
    2. Universal Autofill will only fill your administrator password when using sudo commands, can you confirm that you're using a sudo command when Universal Autofill fails to work?
    3. Are you able to fill for sudo commands into the macOS Terminal app?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

Yes to 1 and 2. I will have to try 3.

• @snowy

Thank you for the reply. Let me know your findings in regards to filling your Mac password into the Terminal app. Please also let me know if you're able to use Universal Autofill in other apps or if it's also not working there.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

So i got it to work. It took a few tries and not it is not clear what got it to work. But some tinkering like adding and removing Mac password from 1p twice.

I would say a prompt or indication would be useful when autofill is not going to work. Because certain fields I am guessing it deems are not logins it won’t fill.

I don’t mind the limitation if there was indication to the user of why it won’t fill. In comparison KeePass clients with global autotype apply the opposite behavior which is they will type anywhere. And expect the user to know what they are choosing to fill in everytime, all the time.

• @snowy

I'm happy that you were able to resolve the issue. 🙂

I would say a prompt or indication would be useful when autofill is not going to work. Because certain fields I am guessing it deems are not logins it won’t fill.

That's a good suggestion! I've passed it along to the team internally, thank you for the feedback.

-Dave

ref: PB-36994964

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

this is an example of weird place where autofill does not work in iTerm2. It acts like it might autofill, but nothing happens. I have to type the username and password.

• @snowy

Thanks for the screenshot. Universal Autofill is only able to fill your Mac login into the Terminal and iTerm2 apps, specifically for sudo commands. This is why 1Password's Quick Access won't suggest other Login items when you're using either of those terminal apps.

That being said, I've passed your comment along to the team internally. 🙂

-Dave

• snowy
    snowy
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, I meant as an example of a place for prompting. So it shows it won’t autofill since 1password already knows it won’t.

But that being said it would be great if you could specificy to autofill in the terminal of a say just a password. Or an option to paste directly a specific field into the front most app.

50% of my interaction with 1Password is within iterm for passwords. And not having to copy the field and than paste into the app would be more easier work flow.

• @snowy

Thank you again for the feedback, it's been shared with the team. 🙂

-Dave