How to access non-web information from 1PW menu icon?

Options
deoldphart
deoldphart
Community Member
edited November 2023 in Mac

Trying V8 again after a disastrous upgrade when it first came out (too much functionality removed), I am happy to see some of that has been restored, but I am still struggling to see how I can can use V8 for non-web work as easily as I could with V7.

For example when working with documents (eg., MSWord or PDF) or with apps, when I needed to fill in, say, my passport number, bank details, or a long serial number for an app, I simply clicked on the icon in the top menu bar, selected the category, the item, and clicked on copy. I could also generate a password and quickly open the 1PW app from the little window. All of that seems to be gone in V8. As near as I can tell, the only way to do what I used to do with a few clicks is now via a trip to Launchpad and opening the full app (rather than just a little window). Am I missing something, or do I just have to get used to this reduced functionality?

1Password Version:8.10.20
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• deoldphart
    deoldphart
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, further exploration reveals that a Control-click on the little icon will open 1PW completely and I can navigate through the full interface to get want I need and double clicking on an item will 'pin' it to the screen. Not quite as elegant as the old method, but I suppose I can get used to it. Consider this item closed.

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello @deoldphart! 👋

Thanks for the question and for posting the steps that you found. Another option is to use Quick Access:

1. Press Shift-Command-Spacebar to open Quick Access.
    2. Search for the item in question (passport, bank, etc) and select it.
    3. Press Command-O to open the item in a new window that will stay pinned to your screen.

You can then copy information from the pinned window. You can read more about Quick Access here: Get to know Quick Access

-Dave

edit: Corrected a typo.

• deoldphart
    deoldphart
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thanks, Dave. That seems a reasonable alternative, and probably quicker if I can remember the key sequence. (I think you mean Shift-Command-Spacebar as this is the Mac version.)

• @deoldphart

Thanks for catching that! I've corrected my post. Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. 😊

-Dave